Posted to user@ant.apache.org by dbgtjp <db...@hotmail.com> on 2010/06/01 19:47:44 UTC

Import projects into eclipse via ant task

Hi,

I already asked this question last week on another forum, but did not get
any responds there.
http://www.jguru.com/forums/view.jsp?EID=1554128

I am trying to automate the process of importing existing projects into
eclipse. The user should just have to start eclipse, enter the workspace and
all the required projects are already showing up there.

Is there an ant task to achieve that, so that the user does not have to
import the projects manually?
This ant task would have to automate the process of starting eclipse,
creating a workspace and importing some projects into this workspace.

Is there a way to do this somehow via ant? Other suggestions to do that are
welcome.

Thank you for your answers.
dbgtjp

ps:
My research already gave me some results about refreshing a workspace with
ant, but so far I found nothing which could be used for my problem. I also
found an old question about this topic which has not been answered so far:
http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.tools/msg63262.html

Re: Import projects into eclipse via ant task

Posted by dbgtjp <db...@hotmail.com>.
for those interested in what answer I got from eclipse ant devel look here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.eclipse.platform.ant.devel/113

-John

Re: Import projects into eclipse via ant task

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

dbgtjp wrote:
> I am trying to automate the process of importing existing projects into
> eclipse. The user should just have to start eclipse, enter the workspace and
> all the required projects are already showing up there.
>
> Is there an ant task to achieve that, so that the user does not have to import the projects manually?

In RAD (Rapid Application Developer), the custom version of Eclipse used
to develop for WebSphere there is such a task called
projectImport [1] . I do not know whether there is the equivalent for
plain eclipse. You may want to open this web page [2]
and contact the mailing list dealing specifically with ant support
within eclipse.
> This ant task would have to automate the process of starting eclipse,
> creating a workspace and importing some projects into this workspace.
>
> Is there a way to do this somehow via ant? Other suggestions to do that are
> welcome.

Ant4Eclipse [3] is a useful library, but I do not remember that they
offer this functionality.

Assuming that there is no existing ant task for plain eclipse to import
projects, this would be an interesting contribution which should
interest either eclipse itself or at least ant4eclipse or maybe both ?

If someone can step it and code it.

Automation could revolve around eclipse psf files (Project Sets),
importing a whole set of projects from the file system, or importing a
specific project.

Regards,

Antoine

[1]