Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com> on 2006/06/27 19:09:10 UTC

best practices for contributors

Ok, so as a follow up to the write up of guidelines for committers, I
thought we should have some guildelines for contributors as well to
help them work with the project.

1.  Send in a signed ICLA to Apache.

2.  Follow coding conventions.

3.  Install the OFBIZ Subversion client configuration file (where is
this?)

4.  Discuss your features with the community.  What are you trying to
implement, and how are you planning to do it?  This is especially
important if you are new to the project.

5.  Write clear, well-commented and understandable code.  Don't take
shortcuts, especially around variable names and error or warning
messages.  Use understandable data structures.  Remember, somebody
else will be working with your code down the road.

6.  Start out with small contributions which are easier to review.
In the process, get familiar with the project's coding style and
"thought process."

7.  Put your contributions on JIRA instead of emailing it directly to
the committers, so everybody can review and comment on it.

8.  Get other members of the community to try your patch.  Write the
users list and tell them what you've done and ask them to try it out
and vote for it.  This would help the committers when they are
reviewing your patches.

Si

Re: best practices for contributors

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hola,

On 6/27/06, Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> That line of thought is changing every day in IP law
> (especially when you're not country specific) and best
> to stay on the conservative side.  Submitting to
> Apache JIRA makes it clear to the contributor that
> they are releasing the contribution under the Apache
> license, so it's really not an issue any longer.

IANAL, but I'll take your word for it.  As I said, JIRA (or whatever
issue tracker we use) is the best / preferred method, so that's
probably what should be in the contributors' guide.  The (public,
archived, date-establishing) mailing list is still better than private
emails.  And most importantly, an iCLA is not needed.

Yoav

Re: best practices for contributors

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
That line of thought is changing every day in IP law
(especially when you're not country specific) and best
to stay on the conservative side.  Submitting to
Apache JIRA makes it clear to the contributor that
they are releasing the contribution under the Apache
license, so it's really not an issue any longer.

If you take commercials for example. They are sent out
in the public everday with and without copyright
claims included, however the work is still the
ownership of the creator and you're still limited by
the terms of fair use in reusing that commercial
without their consent.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
first glance looks good.
thank to you and the others for their hard work.

Si Chen sent the following on 6/27/2006 1:18 PM:

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Looks good - thanks Si!

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.
Ok here it is---

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@ofbiz.org>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
ROTFLOL

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@ofbiz.org>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I agree, with the Jira in place, that is the default commit for
contributors.
More what I was saying was there would be a place for the contributors
code to be that could be accessed, but not thru the official code section.
so the code in Specialized would be moved to the contributors section.
it can be accessed by anyone with the understanding that there is no
support for it.

David E. Jones sent the following on 6/27/2006 12:12 PM:

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@ofbiz.org>.

Si Chen wrote:
> Yeah, you're right.  This actually is very important.
>
> Also I was thinking of adding Marco Risalti's suggestion about
> internationalizing code in here.  While I don't think we should make it
> a requirement that contributions should be internationalized, we should
> suggest that everybody do it as much as possible.

Yes, that's a good point. We should certainly encourage i18n of new code even if we don't require it.

-David

Re: best practices for contributors

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.
Yeah, you're right.  This actually is very important.

Also I was thinking of adding Marco Risalti's suggestion about
internationalizing code in here.  While I don't think we should make
it a requirement that contributions should be internationalized, we
should suggest that everybody do it as much as possible.

Ok, I'll work on creating this page later on docs.ofbiz.org

Si

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@ofbiz.org>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
some what on this same point, most project have a contributors section
in the repository.
It is understood that this is not part of the main project, and is not
the responsibility of the developers of the project to keep the
contributions in sync, with the project.

The is something akin to the specialized and hot-deploy in ofbiz, IMHO.

I would like to see something along those lines addresses in the
practices as well.

Adrian Crum sent the following on 6/27/2006 10:36 AM:

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> So, the << Grant license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works (as per the Apache
> Software License §5) >> option is enough ?

Yes.

Yoav

Re: best practices for contributors

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

> Hi,
> Everything Si said is cool by me, except one bullet point:
>
> On 6/27/06, Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com> wrote:
> > Ok, so as a follow up to the write up of guidelines for committers, I
> > thought we should have some guildelines for contributors as well to
> > help them work with the project.
> >
> > 1.  Send in a signed ICLA to Apache.
>
> Why?  This is not necessary unless one becomes a committer.  A
> contributor can contribute code without an iCLA: someone else with an
> iCLA must commit this code.  By contributing in a public mailing list
> or attaching their patch to an ASF issue tracker, the contributor
> acknowledges his or her contribution may be included in a product
> licensed under the Apache License.  And in a happy world, we get and
> process many such contributions.
>
> The reason we don't want to require an iCLA from new contributors is
> to not raise the bar for them: let the community grow with the lowest
> possible barriers to entry.

So, the << Grant license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works (as per the Apache
Software License §5) >> option is enough ?

Jacques

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hola,
I wouldn't think so.  The act of committing a patch into the ASF
repository is where the committer (not necessarily the same person as
the contributor) verifies the piece is not plagiarized.

Most projects choose to accept contributions from people without an
iCLA, and try to verify the originality of the contributions
themselves (a committer does it).  It's typically trivial stuff,
except for major additions, for which these projects do require iCLAs.
 However, if we want to shift the burden of proof (thereby drastically
raising the barrier to entry for new contributors) onto contributors,
we can ask them to file an iCLA with their first original
contribution.

All of this is qualified: IANAL.  If you're worried about this or
simply want to get an authoritative answer, subscribe to
legal-discuss@apache.org and ask ;)   We'll do whatever they say.  If
what they say requires changes to
http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html#patches (the canonical
reference for contributors, and note it makes no iCLA requirement),
we'll need to get that key document updated as well.

Yoav

--
Yoav Shapira
Nimalex LLC

Re: best practices for contributors

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.
Ok, changed.  Please let me know if it's ok now:  http://
docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Committers+Roles+and+Responsibilities

Si

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.