Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Geoff <ge...@ridge.k12.wa.us> on 2006/01/25 23:24:52 UTC

Sudden appearance of frequent server hit by SIGCHLD

Hi,
I noticed today that I didn't seem to have nearly as many SPAMs getting caught
as I should.  When I checked the maillog I see "server hit by SIGCHLD" on
almost every connection from the spamc client.  This was not the case before.
It looks like this started happening around midnight this morning.  Nothing
changed that I know of between yesterday and now.  I found a lot of discussion
about "max child" etc. on the Web but that hasn't made any difference when
increasing OR decreasing this.

I am using a spamc client on a Windows IMail server (spamc32) with Declude
JunkMail.  This has been working well up till now.  Strangely, when I run the
spamc test from the Windows box from the command line ie.  "SPAMC32 -d <spamd
server IP> -$ -y -u spamd -f C:\imail\Declude\filters\SPAMC32\sample-
nonspam.txt it seems to timeout EVERY time but if I do the same with the
sample SPAM txt it gets a response.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?  I'm not sure where to look next.  I
have restarted the spamd server also (Redhat FC3 running SA 3.0.4).
Both servers are located on the same switch even, and there doesn't seem to be
any network issue that would cause communication problems.

Thanks,
Geoff