Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2002/02/24 07:31:01 UTC

RE: IFrame portlet code & changes needed to get JSP Layout Mgr+Working customizer

Hi Bill,

I'll review the code and check it in if all checks out.

> If someone would like to send me instructions on sumission
> protocol, I would be happy to create a web page so they could
> be found on the Jakarta web site (unless they're already
> there and I missed them)

I think this is how it works. Just send in the code to the dev list and
a committer will review it and commit it.
If you are interested in becoming a committer, please let us know and we
can explain to you what kind of commitment level we expect, rules of the
road etc. There are some links on the jakarta.apache.org site that can
get you started. Try starting here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/guidelines.html

Regards,

David

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
> > I guess the getContent method could've used a template, perhaps a future
> > enhancement...
> Hmm, I'm not actually sure what you mean here by a template, can you
> explain?

A template as in a JSP or Velocity template.
The getContent() method has hard-coded markup.
Its better to separate content from presentation - thats what the JSPPortlet
or VelocityPortlet are intended to do. You could've extended either one, and
not put the html in the java code
. It also makes it a lot easier to maintain.

> > Btw - please don't use tabs in your editor.
> >
> Will do. Any recommendations on editors? I'm working on a win2k sp 2
system
> and have used gvim, Programmer's notepad, nedit, and Jedit. So far I like
> Jedit best, but I'll have to see if it has a insert spaces instead of  tab
> characters feature. Also is there a convention on # of spaces for
> indentation?

4 spaces
See : http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/common/code-standards.html
and http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/code-standards.html

David

Re: IFrame portlet code & changes needed to get JSP Layout Mgr+Working customizer

Posted by Bill Barnhill <wb...@twcny.rr.com>.
Thanks David,

I've got some questions and answers for you:

> I guess the getContent method could've used a template, perhaps a future
> enhancement...
Hmm, I'm not actually sure what you mean here by a template, can you
explain?

> Btw - please don't use tabs in your editor.

Will do. Any recommendations on editors? I'm working on a win2k sp 2 system
and have used gvim, Programmer's notepad, nedit, and Jedit. So far I like
Jedit best, but I'll have to see if it has a insert spaces instead of  tab
characters feature. Also is there a convention on # of spaces for
indentation?
I'll recheck the web site, I seem to remember something about coding styles.

> Glad to hear that you want to get involved. Welcome !
Thanks, I appreciate the nice welcome.

> > - Image tab control that creates a box of  9 TD elements for
> > each Tab, like so
> >         xxx    where right now there is only one TD for each tab
> >         xCx
> >         xxx
> >         each TD in the box surrounding the content would have a
> >         background image based on the skin name, the tab skins
> >         path property, an image extension,and the TD box.
> >
> I like the idea. Why do you need 9 TDs per tab?
My original idea only had 3 (left, middle, right), but a while ago I did
some work using another product called DynaAPI and created a table based
image frame whose size changed with the content or with the window size.  I
was thinking that if you make the box with 9 graphics then it doesn't matter
what size the center content box is, you can still make a box to go around
it. If you do 3 then you're fixed at a certain height.  After thinking about
it I think I'll do a ImageTab3Control and an ImageTab9Control, that way the
user can choose which one they want to use. Come to think of it, a mechanism
to create a image based border around a portlet(-set?) would be cool. I'll
add it to my list of things to do after I get my current plate cleared,
unless someone else wants to do that one?

> Do you know if we can we use Flash in open source?
I think we can use .swf and .fla files as long as the individual files are
APL'd by their creators.  I don't know if we can distribute a Flash player.
I doubt it, but then I wouldn't think we'd need to.

Check out http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/open/licensing
For the details.

One possibility that would be cool is if we could use
http://www.anotherbigidea.com/javaswf/index.html
but before I did that I would need someone with more experience than me to
check out his license and make sure it was compatible with APL:
http://www.anotherbigidea.com/javaswf/JavaSWF2-BSD.LICENSE.html

> Try to put this into a more formal proposal for the group to read.
> Nothing that fancy, see the /proposals directory in the cvs for
> examples.
> Then send it to both the jetspeed-dev and jetspeed-user lists.
Will do once I get Tab and title controls done.

Thanks for the encouragement,
Bill

RE: IFrame portlet code & changes needed to get JSP Layout Mgr+Working customizer

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Hi Bill,

Great work! I checked in the IFramePortlet, and added it to the registry
along with a sample.
I guess the others should've reviewed it first, but this will make it
easier for them to review.
I guess the getContent method could've used a template, perhaps a future
enhancement...
Btw - please don't use tabs in your editor.

Thanks for fixing the customizer to work in JSP-mode. Great
contribution!

> I am definitely interested in becoming a committer.  I read

I usually advise people who want to become a committer, to choose
something to work on, and then make a proposal.
Reading on down below, I see you have already done this. :)

> I am definitely interested in becoming a committer.  I read
> the guidelines page and the other pages about contributing.
> I'm partly doing this so I can use Jetspeed as a portal on my
> site, and have the site work the way I want, but mostly I'm
> doing this because I've been meaning to get involved in the
> Open Source movement for some time and figured I should
> actually just do it. Pardon the nike quote.

Glad to hear that you want to get involved. Welcome !

> I checked the mailing lists for the things on my wishlist,
> but FYI and so I don't conflict with what anyone else is
> doing, here is a list of things I would like to implement:
>
> - Image tab control that creates a box of  9 TD elements for
> each Tab, like so
>         xxx    where right now there is only one TD for each tab
>         xCx
>         xxx
>         each TD in the box surrounding the content would have a
>         background image based on the skin name, the tab skins
>         path property, an image extension,and the TD box.
>         An example would be
>             /images/portal/skins/chrome/tab-upper-left.jpeg
>         The alt text would be the output of the current Tab control.
>         The tab skins path and the image extension would be in JR.p.

I like the idea. Why do you need 9 TDs per tab?

> - FlashTitleControl : Behaves the same as TitleControl but uses
>     one of the following options:
>
>     1) One flash movie for the title bar. This movie would be passed
>     the following params:
>         title, maximizable,minimizable, editable, maxhref,
> minhref, edithref
>
>     2) Four flash movies: title,maxbutton,minbutton,editbutton.
>
>     The title movie would be passed the title param, and the button
>     movies would be passed their respective hrefs.

This sounds great, I'm very interested in learning Flash.
Do you know if we can we use Flash in open source?

> -TLB portlets option (Top-left-bottom navigations begin
> portlet content)
>     -Add a defaultleft.psml,defaultbottom.psml,and
> defaulttop.psml so that if
>     the option is enabled the top, left, and bottom can be
> generated with
>     portlets as well.
>
>     -Add a bottom_portlets.jsp,left_portlets.jsp,top_portlets.jsp,
>     and top_portlets_loggedIn.jsp to navigations.  Do same for vm
>     navigations.
>
>     -Add three controlling properties to JR.p, one to turn
> on/off using
>     portlet content for top,left, and bottom respectively.
>
>     -Add  customizeLeft, customizeBottom, customizeTop portal/actions
>     -Add customizeLeft.jsp, customizeBottom.jsp, customizeTop.jsp
>     -Add customizeLeft.vm, customizeBottom.vm, customizeTop.vm
>     -I will try to make this as generic as I can, since the
> ideal seems to
>     be the user specifying the number of content windows,
> their layout,
>     and the portlet layout (i.e. psml file) to use.

+1

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>