Posted to users@opennlp.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/27 13:21:50 UTC

Rules

Hello OpenNLP users,

Are any of you aware of a rule engine comparable to JAPE but with an
Apache or BSD or MIT license?

Thanks,

benson

Re: Rules

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 07/08/2012 09:37 PM, William Colen wrote:
> Any idea of the feasibility
> to have any of these working with OpenNLP tools?

I would prefer a  rules engine in OpenNLP which is
easy to integrate into other applications. UIMA is a large framework
which brings quite some overhead with it.

+1 from to work on a rules engine as part of OpenNLP Tools.

Jörn

Re: Rules

Posted by William Colen <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Sorry, I could not check the pointers until today. Very nice tools! We have
two Apache options now:

* UIMA Drools
* Text Marker

Both looks promising for UIMA. I love UIMA, but for some applications it is
overkilling. It would be great if we could use a rule system in simple Java
code together with OpenNLP, what do you think? Any idea of the feasibility
to have any of these working with OpenNLP tools?

Thank you,
William

Re: Rules

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Rules

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Rules

Posted by Michael Schmitz <sc...@cs.washington.edu>.

Re: Rules

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hmm. I've also heard of Drools for this sort of purpose.

Re: Rules

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
  Hi,

I developed the TextMarker system, an imperative rule language for
annotation patterns. It is located in the Apache UIMA sandbox, but there
is no release yet. It is especially useful for prototyping information
extraction applications and less for developing grammars.

The old TextMarker implementation (LGPL license) is hosted at SourceForge
http://sourceforge.net/projects/textmarker/
http://tmwiki.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/

Best,

Peter

On 27.06.2012 13:36, Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> I don't know if it can help but I've seen this been announced in one of the
> UIMA MLs which is using Drools (and Apache2 licensed):
> https://github.com/celi-uim/uima-drools
>
> My 2 cents,
> Tommaso
>
> 2012/6/27 William Colen<wi...@gmail.com>
>
>> I am searching exactly the same. I could not find anything.
>>

>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8604793/is-there-a-java-implementation-of-constraint-grammar
>>
>> I tried some alternatives but I could not find anything like JAPE.
>>
>> Regards,
>> William
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Benson Margulies<bimargulies@gmail.com
>>> wrote:
>>> Hello OpenNLP users,
>>>
>>> Are any of you aware of a rule engine comparable to JAPE but with an
>>> Apache or BSD or MIT license?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> benson

Dipl.-Inf. Peter Klügl
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-86741
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: pkluegl@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
      http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/staff/kluegl_peter/

Re: Rules

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Rules

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benson,

AFAIK there is nothing comparable to JAPE/JAPEPlus with a 'friendly' open
source license. Ideally it would come with an implementation for documents,
annotations, features with clean interfaces so that it could be used from
various frameworks (including GATE itself). Definitely doable but quite a
large task. I had ported JAPE to UIMA some time ago, more for playing that
anything else but that stuff is now derelict + it was using the GATE
libraries.

Am fairly busy with my various Apache and professional activities but would
be interested in contributing to this.

Julien

--
*