Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/17 21:53:42 UTC

Comparing Nutch and Common Crawl

Hi,

I was chatting with the people from the Common Crawl project (
www.commoncrawl.org) this afternoon and we thought it would be interesting
to have some sort of comparison between the space / memory / CPU
requirements of their crawler and what it would take to process a similar
amount with Nutch 1.x and 2.x. The aim is not so much to prove that one
system is superior to the other (they both have their pluses and minuses)
but to get a better picture of the situation.

One way to do this would be to gather stats from Nutch users operating
large crawls. Alternatively one could push the content of the CC dataset
into e.g. Nutch 2 on Hbase to see how much space it would take and how the
crawl would fare on that. I am pretty sure that would reveal all sorts of
interesting issues and would be a good thing to do to test the Nutch + Gora
stack.

Would anyone be interested in sharing their stats? Anyone with spare time
and machine to populate a crawldb with the CC dataset and get some stats?

Thanks

Julien

--
*

http://digitalpebble.blogspot.com/
http://www.digitalpebble.com
http://twitter.com/digitalpebble

Re: Comparing Nutch and Common Crawl

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Julien,

I've been winding down my Nutch server's this last few weeks in prep for
moving away.
I would however be very interested in stepping up to also provide some
stats come the new year. I don't know the duration of time you guys think
this should be carried out over however I am very keen to participate when
I can come early Janurary.

Best

Lewis

--