Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> on 2004/02/11 19:07:19 UTC

New Windows Security Flaw - Preventing Spam B4 it starts!

I'm passing this on to this list thinking it might prevent spam before
it starts. As you know - Microsoft has another serious security flaw -
and its just a matter of days before someone writes a virus to exploit
it. Often these viruses are spam bots that will create a ton of spam

I therefore urge everyone to post this warning and encourage everyone to
get the windows update before the spam bot virus is written. If we get
the word out we can prevent a lot of spam before it occurs.

----------------

Virus Warning for Windows Users - Very Serious

Microsoft has yet another very serious security flaw that gives anyone
with the right know how total access to your computer. I don't know all
the details - but it might be the biggest one yet. If you remember the
SoBig and Code Red viruses last fall - this one will similar in that it
doesn't require you to get email for you to be attacked or hacked. *Your
computer can be hacked into and viruses installed without you doing
anything to cause it to happen.

*I say "will be" because right now there is no virus - yet. But the flaw
is there and it will be a matter of days before someone writes a virus
to take advantage of the flaw. And - your anti-virus software will have
no effect. Microsoft has posted a patch and that is how you protect
yourself - download and install that patch.

Here's the link to Microsoft's Windows Update:

*http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com*

You must use Microsoft Explorer to install it.
I am also asking that those of you who have blogs and newsletters and
high traffic web sites post this warning on your front page and include
it in your newsletters. The best defense to this virus is to stop it
before it begins. As you all know - this virus will affect non-windows
users in that the new viruses turn windows computer into spam robots and
we are still getting the bounce messages from the last virus. Let's see
if we can stop this before it starts by first - patch your computer now
- then - tell everyone to patch theirs. You can cut and paste this
warning into your blog or newsletter.