Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dennis Gearon <ge...@sbcglobal.net> on 2010/12/13 10:16:14 UTC

gotchas, issues with document deletions/replacements/edits

I am about to set  up a live edit of database contents that get indexed in a
Solr Instance.

I seem to remember that edits in the index are actually deletes and
replacements?

The deleted items don't really disappear, right? What about queries do they
affect?

Counts?
Return results?
?

 Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
----------------
It is always a good idea to learn from your own mistakes. It is usually a better
idea to learn from others’ mistakes, so you do not have to make them yourself.
from 'http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4501&tag=nl.e036'

EARTH has a Right To Life,
otherwise we all die.

Re: gotchas, issues with document deletions/replacements/edits

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
You're right, updates are really deletes/adds. Deleted documents are NOT
found in future queries, so that's not a problem.

However, the #terms# in a deleted document still affect the relevance
calculations. But in most cases you'll never notice this. By that I mean
that the term frequency counts are still influenced by the terms from the
deleted documents etc.

Even this abstruse effect is removed upon the first optimize after delete.
That's when the document, terms, etc is removed from the index files.

Best
Erick