Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Richard Huddleston <rh...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/19 20:32:42 UTC

XInclude with Schemas

I'm wondering when Xerces will get support for XInclude use with Schemas.

I was trying to do something like

<xi:include href="Chapters.xml" parse="xml"
      xpointer="element(chapter_one)">
      <xi:fallback />
 </xi:include>

Where chapter_one is the ID of a chapter element in Chapters.xml.

No go.

I checked the Xerces XInclude
FAQ<http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-xinclude.html>and saw this:

What types of IDs are currently supported for XPointers?

For shorthand pointers and element() XPointers, currently only
DTD-determined IDs are supported. schema-determined IDs may be supported in
a future release.

Is there a timeline for this functionality?  Does anyone have a nice
workaround for this ... we're a Schema shop ... we're DTD free :)

-Richard

Re: XInclude with Schemas

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Richard,

There are currently no plans to further enhance the XInclude implementation
in Xerces. I recall one of the issues with schema-determined IDs [1] is
that in order to support them we may have to buffer portions of or the
entire document in memory before being able to determine than an XPointer
selects a particular element. At the time we didn't want to complicate the
design of an otherwise streaming processor.

Thanks.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-xptr-framework-20030325/#shorthand

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development