Posted to user@struts.apache.org by he...@dnbnor.no on 2006/01/27 10:22:33 UTC

[Shale] Error in remoting

Hi

I have noticed the following errors in my Tomcat logs:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: fr, 27 jan 2006 08:45:27 GMT
	at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteRequest.getDateHeader(CoyoteRequest.java:1887)
	at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteRequestFacade.getDateHeader(CoyoteRequestFacade.java:428)
	at org.apache.shale.remoting.impl.AbstractResourceProcessor.ifModifiedSince(AbstractResourceProcessor.java:343)

Going through the Javadocs, it may lok like it is a Tomcat error, but I wanted to check with you guys first and here what you think.

In the javadocs for CoyoteRequest.getDateHeader it does say:     Throws:
        java.lang.IllegalArgumentException - if the specified header value cannot be converted to a date

Now the question is: How does the "If-Modified-Since" parameter in the request get set?
In this case Tomcat does noe understand: "fr, 27 jan 2006 08:45:27 GMT"

Hermod

entity to whom it is addressed. Please also be aware that the DnB NOR Group
cannot accept any payment orders or other legally binding correspondence with
customers as a part of an email.

This email message has been virus checked by the virus programs used
in the DnB NOR Group.

Re: [Shale] Error in remoting

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
(Memo to self -- don't let your cat hit the "Send" button before you are
done ... :-)

On 1/27/06, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 1/27/06, hermod.opstvedt@dnbnor.no <he...@dnbnor.no> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I have noticed the following errors in my Tomcat logs:
> >
> > java.lang.IllegalArgumentException : fr, 27 jan 2006 08:45:27 GMT
> >         at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteRequest.getDateHeader(
> > CoyoteRequest.java:1887)
> >         at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteRequestFacade.getDateHeader(
> > CoyoteRequestFacade.java :428)
> >         at
> > org.apache.shale.remoting.impl.AbstractResourceProcessor.ifModifiedSince
> > (AbstractResourceProcessor.java:343)
> >
> > Going through the Javadocs, it may lok like it is a Tomcat error, but I
> > wanted to check with you guys first and here what you think.
> >
> > In the javadocs for CoyoteRequest.getDateHeader it does say:     Throws:
> >         java.lang.IllegalArgumentException - if the specified header
> > value cannot be converted to a date
> >

> > Now the question is: How does the "If-Modified-Since" parameter in the
> > request get set?
> > In this case Tomcat does noe understand: "fr, 27 jan 2006 08:45:27 GMT"
>

> The "If-Modified-Since" header is set for you by the browser, if you had
> transmitted a "Date" header on the previous version of the same URL, and if
> you have configured your browser for caching.  The required format is
> defined in the HTTP spec[1], section 3.3, and your string doesn't match --
> so Tomcat would be correct in reporting an error here.  The day abbreviation
> would

need to be three letters, so this should look something like:

  Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:45:27 GMT

Hermod

Re: [Shale] Error in remoting

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.