Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2006/02/16 06:05:28 UTC

Increasing Java Startup Performance

I went to a this talk this morning

http://www.csail.mit.edu/events/eventcalendar/calendar.php?show=event&id=978

that presented the paper found at

http://www.research.ibm.com/people/m/marnold/arnold-welc-rajan.final.pdf

which implements a very interesting trick to speed up java startup
performance: save the hotspot information in a repository (at JVM shut
down) so that the JIT doesn't have to wait when it starts until it knows
what is a hotspot to start compiling it. the performance improvements
are not likely to change the perception that java is awefully slow to
start up on the desktop, but it's a clever idea.

In the meanwhile, Sun's attempt to solve the same problem in JSE6 is this:

http://java.sun.com/developer/JDCTechTips/2005/tt1115.html#1

No comment.

--
Stefano.

Re: Increasing Java Startup Performance

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Does the Java 5 feature CDS(class data sharing) work on this issue?

pls. refer to
<Java SE 5 document root>/docs/guide/vm/class-data-sharing.html

--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab

Re: Increasing Java Startup Performance

Posted by Wes Felter <we...@felter.org>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
The wiki certainly works well for this...

Posted by Arzhan Kinzhalin <li...@gmail.com>.