Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Rohan Desai <de...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/03 00:27:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-425: Add some Log4J Kafka Appender Properties for Producing to Secured Brokers

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-425%3A+Add+some+Log4J+Kafka+Appender+Properties+for+Producing+to+Secured+Brokers

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-425: Add some Log4J Kafka Appender Properties for Producing to Secured Brokers

Posted by Dongjin Lee <do...@apache.org>.
@Rohan

I reviewed both of the security feature and your KIP today, and now
understanding what you are meaning! In short, you are trying to reach
parity of the supported authentication mechanism[^1], configuration
method[^2] between client and Log4J appender. Isn't it?

Then, It would be much better to expand the motivation section with more
detail and context, like this:

```
Currently, Kafka client supports various authentication mechanisms with
following configuration methods:

1. Using the client configuration property `sasl.jaas.config`
2. Using the static JAAS config file

However, the existing Log4J Kafka appender only supports producing to
brokers that use the GSSAPI SASL (aka Kerberos) mechanism, using static
JAAS config file configurations.

This KIP covers extending the current implementation to support the PLAIN
SASL mechanism with property-based configuration method, reaching parity
between client and log appender.
```

@Gwen

Thanks for your kind response! Could you give us a +1 to the voting
thread[^3]? You know, we need committer's binding +1. (I already voted with
+1.)

Best,
Dongjin

[^1]: GSSAPI (Kerberos), PLAIN, etc.