Posted to mirrors@apache.org by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@yahoo.com> on 2004/03/14 12:38:14 UTC

Question about using rsync often (seeking recommendation)

Hello everyone,

Currently I am using rsync every 24 hours but I would
like to synchronize more frequently. Every hour seems
reasonable and is mentioned in the mirrors archives.
Any recommendations?

Can someone also recommend a good web statistics
program?

webalizer-2.01 is currently installed on my machine.

IDEA : I think it would be useful if we synchronize
all the web statistics from all the mirrors.
Additionally if the statistics were generated by
geographic location apache would know which packages
are in demand and where.

Thanks,

Phil

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Question about using rsync often (seeking recommendation)

Posted by Stephen Loeckle <sl...@xtria.com>.
We use awstats here for our mirror.
http://mirrors.xtria.com/awstats/awstats.mirrors.xtria.com.html

http://awstats.sourceforge.net/

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Philip Mark Donaghy wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Currently I am using rsync every 24 hours but I would
> like to synchronize more frequently. Every hour seems
> reasonable and is mentioned in the mirrors archives.
> Any recommendations?

Every hour seems excessive.  I think every six hours would be the minimum
I would see as reasonable.  Also, make sure you are syncing only with
apache-dist, since other rsync repositories change much more frequently,
and will therfore cause excessive bandwidth utilization.

> IDEA : I think it would be useful if we synchronize
> all the web statistics from all the mirrors.
> Additionally if the statistics were generated by
> geographic location apache would know which packages
> are in demand and where.

We have been considering collecting some mirror statistics.  But getting
them from all mirrors would probably be too difficult.  Rather, we may
just get a sampling and do some extrapolation to estimate total usage.

Joshua.