Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2010/11/01 13:39:50 UTC

Culling the maven-stage-plugin

This was a hack, and has now been replaced with Nexus staging here at Apache (and most other forges).  I believe this plugin can be archived now.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Re: Culling the maven-stage-plugin

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
+1

--mobile

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Nov 1, 2010, at 7:02 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 01/11/2010, at 1:54 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> Doesn't change the fact it's a hack, generally not useful and is generally not going to get used.
>
> I don't disagree, but given it was just yesterday, I think Dennis should get to finish what he's doing.

He was applying a patch by Dan Tran who actually has access to Mojo.

>> Dennis, are you committed to supporting it?
>>
>> If so, that's fine, but it's a dead end plugin as far as I'm concerned. Who's going to use it when all the repository managers have some form of staging?
>
> The Artifactory and Nexus OSS users? :)

Unlikely in both cases. If you're sophisticated enough to use/want that functionality you want it done properly.

> /me ducks
>
> - Brett
>
> --
> Brett Porter
> brett@apache.org
> http://brettporter.wordpress.com/

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

 -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition

Re: Culling the maven-stage-plugin

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.

> On 01/11/2010, at 1:54 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> Doesn't change the fact it's a hack, generally not useful and is
>> generally not going to get used.
>
> I don't disagree, but given it was just yesterday, I think Dennis should
> get to finish what he's doing.
>>
>> Dennis, are you committed to supporting it?
>>
>> If so, that's fine, but it's a dead end plugin as far as I'm concerned.
>> Who's going to use it when all the repository managers have some form of
>> staging?
>
> The Artifactory and Nexus OSS users? :)
>
> /me ducks

Haha... thanks for saying that Brett. You made me laugh ... I guess I
gotta duck now too. Whoosh... by it went..

manfred

Re: Culling the maven-stage-plugin

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2010-11-02 04:00, Dan Tran wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

>>> My apology, should had withdrawn the request  for this fix a long time ago.
>>

>> No, no. I just didn't know they served the same purpose and just wanted to know. If the maven-wagon-plugin is more flexible (I assume it handles all supported transports, not just what I originally hard-coded for Apache stuff a long time ago) then the maven-stage-plugin can probably be retired.
>
> Yes, wagon-maven-plugin supports staging and more flexible. So it is
> safe to retire stage-maven-plugin.

Do you have any configuration examples that you can share with us, on
how to use wagon-maven-plugin for staging?

If so we can suggest that as a possible migration path for users of
Maven Stage Plugin if/when it is retired.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will
>> elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come
>> and sit softly on your shoulder ...
>>
>>  -- Thoreau

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Culling the maven-stage-plugin