Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca> on 2017/10/03 06:24:32 UTC

[VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2
.1.2. The vote is open until Saturday October 7th at 9:00 PST and passes if
a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see https://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.1.2-rc4
<https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.1.2-rc4> (
2abaea9e40fce81cd4626498e0f5c28a70917499)

List of JIRA tickets resolved in this release can be found with this filter.
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.1.2>

https://home.apache.org/~holden/spark-2.1.2-rc4-bin/

Release artifacts are signed with a key from:
https://people.apache.org/~holden/holdens_keys.asc

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1252

https://people.apache.org/~holden/spark-2.1.2-rc4-docs/

*FAQ*

*How can I help test this release?*

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking an
existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install the
current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala you can
add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test with
the RC (make
sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so you don't end up
building with a out of date RC going forward).

*What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.1.2?*

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug fixes,
documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should be worked on
immediately. Everything else please retarget to 2.1.3.

*But my bug isn't fixed!??!*

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the release
unless the bug in question is a regression from 2.1.1. That being said if
there is something which is a regression form 2.1.1 that has not been
correctly targeted please ping a committer to help target the issue (you
can see the open issues listed as impacting Spark 2.1.1 & 2.1.2
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-21985?jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20AND%20status%20%3D%20OPEN%20AND%20(affectedVersion%20%3D%202.1.2%20OR%20affectedVersion%20%3D%202.1.1)>
)

*What are the unresolved* issues targeted for 2.1.2
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-21985?jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20%22Target%20Version%2Fs%22%20%3D%202.1.2>
?

At this time there are no open unresolved issues.

*Is there anything different about this release?*

This is the first release in awhile not built on the AMPLAB Jenkins. This
is good because it means future releases can more easily be built and
signed securely (and I've been updating the documentation in
https://github.com/apache/spark-website/pull/66 as I progress), however the
chances of a mistake are higher with any change like this. If there
something you normally take for granted as correct when checking a release,
please double check this time :)

*Should I be committing code to branch-2.1?*

Thanks for asking! Please treat this stage in the RC process as "code
freeze" so bug fixes only. If you're uncertain if something should be back
ported please reach out. If you do commit to branch-2.1 please tag your
JIRA issue fix version for 2.1.3 and if we cut another RC I'll move the 2.1.3
fixed into 2.1.2 as appropriate.

*What happened to RC3?*

Some R+zinc interactions kept it from getting out the door.

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by DB Tsai <db...@dbtsai.com>.
+1

Sincerely,

DB Tsai
Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
PGP Key ID: 0x5CED8B896A6BDFA0

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.

List of JIRA tickets resolved in this release can be found with this filter.<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.1.2>

[...]

+1 -224-436-0783<tel:(224)%20436-0783>
Greater Chicago

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.
Checked sigs & hashes.

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by vaquar khan <va...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.
+1 too.

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.
This vote passes.  Thanks to everyone for testing and helping work out the
challenges with a different release flow & a new RM :)

Since I'm only a committer not PMC member there are some additional steps
involved to make the release available so thanks for your patience in
advance.

+1:
Sean Owen (binding)
Herman van Hövell tot Westerflier (binding)
Dongjoon Hyun
Kazuaki Ishizaki
Wenchen Fan (binding)
Ryan Blue
Liwei Lin
Felix Cheung
Denny Lee
Reynold Xin (binding)
Hyukjin Kwon
vaquar khan
Nick Pentreath (binding)
Ricardo Almeida
DB Tsai (binding)

0:
None

-1:
None

P.S.

Special thanks to Felix for catching and helping debug the R packaging
issue :)

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Ricardo Almeida <ri...@actnowib.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Denny Lee <de...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Liwei Lin <lw...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
+1

Verified checksums and signatures for the archives in home.apache.org, spot
checked the same for artifacts in Nexus.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.1.2 (RC4)