Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ross Burton <ro...@mail.com> on 2000/09/06 09:14:53 UTC

[C2] Cocoon with Tomcat

Hi,

Who out there runs Cocoon 2 inside Tomcat?  I'm using the latest CVS of C2
and a CVS of Tomcat just after the 3.2 milestone (to fix a nasty bug IIRC).
When I load Tomcat there are approx. 20 JVMs in the process list (probably
most of them are threads) which take up over 100M!  Is this usual?  Is my
tomcat somehow huge?  I've been talking to Pier about this and he reckons
that Tomcat shouldn't be above 25M, so has anybody got any idea what is
going on?

Thanks,
Ross Burton

Re: [C2] Cocoon with Tomcat

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
"Pier P. Fumagalli" wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > Ross Burton wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Who out there runs Cocoon 2 inside Tomcat?  I'm using the latest CVS of C2
> > > and a CVS of Tomcat just after the 3.2 milestone (to fix a nasty bug IIRC).
> > > When I load Tomcat there are approx. 20 JVMs in the process list (probably
> > > most of them are threads) which take up over 100M!  Is this usual?  Is my
> > > tomcat somehow huge?  I've been talking to Pier about this and he reckons
> > > that Tomcat shouldn't be above 25M, so has anybody got any idea what is
> > > going on?
> >
> > I'm working with Catalina (Tomcat 4.0-dev) and do not have these
> > problems. You might want to switch (cvs checkout jakarta-tomcat-4.0
> > since the module name has changed.
>
> Hmm... How much memory do you see consumed by Catalina+Cocoon???

For sure less than 100Mb otherwise my machine (128Mb of RAM) will choke
big time. I'd estimate no more than usual 10Mb, but I can't really tell
you now since my Cocoon2 doesn't work (trying to chase what they appear
as classloading problems since I've placed everything in WEB-INF/lib and
for something it works for something else it doesn't... very weird...)

But I agree, should be more than 25Mb (on SUN JDK1.3 for Win2k)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [C2] Cocoon with Tomcat

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@eng.sun.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Ross Burton wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Who out there runs Cocoon 2 inside Tomcat?  I'm using the latest CVS of C2
> > and a CVS of Tomcat just after the 3.2 milestone (to fix a nasty bug IIRC).
> > When I load Tomcat there are approx. 20 JVMs in the process list (probably
> > most of them are threads) which take up over 100M!  Is this usual?  Is my
> > tomcat somehow huge?  I've been talking to Pier about this and he reckons
> > that Tomcat shouldn't be above 25M, so has anybody got any idea what is
> > going on?
>
> I'm working with Catalina (Tomcat 4.0-dev) and do not have these
> problems. You might want to switch (cvs checkout jakarta-tomcat-4.0
> since the module name has changed.

Hmm... How much memory do you see consumed by Catalina+Cocoon???

	Pier

Re: [C2] Cocoon with Tomcat

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: [C2] Cocoon with Tomcat

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@apache.org>.
"Pier P. Fumagalli" wrote:

> Ross Burton wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Who out there runs Cocoon 2 inside Tomcat?  I'm using the latest CVS of C2
> > and a CVS of Tomcat just after the 3.2 milestone (to fix a nasty bug IIRC).
> > When I load Tomcat there are approx. 20 JVMs in the process list (probably
> > most of them are threads) which take up over 100M!  Is this usual?  Is my
> > tomcat somehow huge?  I've been talking to Pier about this and he reckons
> > that Tomcat shouldn't be above 25M, so has anybody got any idea what is
> > going on?
>
> Ok... Just to point out that the 20 processes on your PS (I've seen
> Ross' output) are just threads... We already cleared up this one, but
> the memory consumption is awfully over 100 Mb (on the overall process,
> and NOT summing each thread memory consumption... Every process/thread
> in PS consumes the same amount 123 Mb of RAM! total 123 Mb allocated by
> the VM...)
>
> Craig said it's approximately 25/30 last time I asked...

By the way... Just to check Craig's accurateness.. Did you try to run it
without Cocoon installed???

	Pier

Re: [C2] Cocoon with Tomcat

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@apache.org>.