Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu> on 2019/05/14 19:53:45 UTC

Clean modules/licenses

Hi,

I created a PR, that might be controversial, so this is a heads-up so
that anyone, that want can speak up. I ran

ant verify-all-libs-and-licenses

and I did not like the output. Some things stood out:

- there were several badly formatted license files
- and there are dependencies on unacceptable licenses

The first step: Cleanup as much as possible from a licensing
perspective and the second step is to ensure problem can be easily
spotted.

The first step will most probably be easily agreeable. The second is
the reason I decided to place it on the dev mailing list.

We removed several modules from the build, but they are still spread
through the codebase. Instead of leaving them at their old place, I
gathered them into a new contrib directory. That way they are easily
identifiable.

This is the PR:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1251

Moving a module to contrib does not need to be the end of the module.
If someone cleans it up, it can be moved back to the regularly build
modules anytime.

Please speak up if you disagree with the PR.

Greetings

Matthias