Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Brian M Dube <bd...@apache.org> on 2007/06/21 17:25:06 UTC

[RT] Plugin filesystem layout

What do you think about organizing plugins in the filesystem by type?

plugins/input
plugins/output
plugins/internal

The core and whiteboard plugin directories are not overcrowded yet, but
they feel a little unorganized. Advantages, disadvantages, other thoughts?

Brian

Re: [RT] Plugin filesystem layout

Posted by Brian M Dube <bd...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 21/06/07, Brian M Dube <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>> What do you think about organizing plugins in the filesystem by type?
>>
>> plugins/input
>> plugins/output
>> plugins/internal
>>
>> The core and whiteboard plugin directories are not overcrowded yet, but
>> they feel a little unorganized. Advantages, disadvantages, other
>> thoughts?
>
> Do you mean the source directories or the deployment directories.
>
> Assuming you mean the src directories I have no problem with things as
> they are since command line completion solves all my problems and
> having to go one directory lower is more of a pain to me.
>
> That being said, I am only -0 on the idea.

I do mean the source directories. Command line completion is what
prompted this random thought. I would prefer to go one level deeper and
have fewer possible completions, but it's purely preference. It will
take many more plugins to cause an organizational issue, if at all.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 21/06/07, Brian M Dube <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> What do you think about organizing plugins in the filesystem by type?
>
> plugins/input
> plugins/output
> plugins/internal
>
> The core and whiteboard plugin directories are not overcrowded yet, but
> they feel a little unorganized. Advantages, disadvantages, other thoughts?

Do you mean the source directories or the deployment directories.

Assuming you mean the src directories I have no problem with things as
they are since command line completion solves all my problems and
having to go one directory lower is more of a pain to me.

That being said, I am only -0 on the idea.

Ross