Posted to user@geode.apache.org by "evaristo.camarero@yahoo.es" <ev...@yahoo.es> on 2018/05/29 11:01:11 UTC

APACHE GEODE NATIVE PROJECT STATUS

Hi there,

I have seen there is an Apache project called APache Geode Native (https://github.com/apache/geode-native ), that is providing a C++ Geode client. This project looks active (commits, developers, etc). For me it is not clear how the project is related with Apache Geode project and the project relation with ASF, so I would appreciate some information that helps to understand the project status:

- Is it an Apache project under the ASF?

- Is there any plan to make public releases?

Thanks in advance,

/Evaristo

Re: APACHE GEODE NATIVE PROJECT STATUS

Posted by "evaristo.camarero@yahoo.es" <ev...@yahoo.es>.
 Thanks a lot Jake for the clarifications.

    En jueves, 31 de mayo de 2018 16:02:06 CEST, Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io> escribió:

On May 31, 2018, at 3:22 AM, "evaristo.camarero@yahoo.es" <ev...@yahoo.es> wrote:

Issues can he reported through the project’s website which will take you to ASF’s JIRA system.

- Plan for minor steps and release alpha, beta, etc. The first contribution is usually using the software and test it and report bugs, usually bug fixes is the next contribution, and later features, etc... I am not sure that is needed to comple GEODE-1416 before having a Geode Native release. Why not to decouple the life cycle of Apache Geode and Geode native, and produce something that people can start using? If someone wants to use Geode native now, basically they need to compile "any status " of the repo, without a clear info about the status, limitations, bugs, etc. that makes it quite hard.

Many of the items in GEODE-1416 are required by the ASF to be completed before we can release anything in any form.
-Jake

Re: APACHE GEODE NATIVE PROJECT STATUS

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by "evaristo.camarero@yahoo.es" <ev...@yahoo.es>.
 Hi,
Thanks a lot for the information. It is clear!!!
I am actually developing a C++ app using the project and I feel I could contribute for instance reporting issues (and even patches). There are several things hat in my view could help to atract contributors to the project:

- Activate the issues link in github to make possible to report a bug or a suggestion.- Plan for minor steps and release alpha, beta, etc. The first contribution is usually using the software and test it and report bugs, usually bug fixes is the next contribution, and later features, etc... I am not sure that is needed to comple GEODE-1416 before having a Geode Native release. Why not to decouple the life cycle of Apache Geode and Geode native, and produce something that people can start using? If someone wants to use Geode native now, basically they need to compile "any status " of the repo, without a clear info about the status, limitations, bugs, etc. that makes it quite hard.
Just my 2 cents.
Thanks again,
/Evaristo

    En martes, 29 de mayo de 2018 18:41:20 CEST, Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io> escribió:

  Hi thanks for your interest!  The geode-native source code is part of the Apache Geode project, managed by the Geode PMC.  The geode-native repo has been undergoing lots of change to add support for C++11 and make the usage more idiomatic for modern C++ applications.  Once this work settles out we plan to do a release.  You can track this work (and contribute!) at GEODE-1416 [1].
Anthony
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-1416

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-1416 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-1416>