Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil.INVALID> on 2019/03/25 17:07:22 UTC

CreationComplete event question

    Using Royal SDK 0.9.4 binaries with a Jewel Card / Basic Group and ran into an issue where the "this" reference is not ready / comparable while in an "initComplete" event handler.  However after its full creation cycle it is available and can be compared.  I tested with a button calling the same method as the initComplete did.  Would have tried using a "creationComplete" handler, but the event doesn't seem to exist.

    Searched the email archive and found the thread "Where is the creationComplete in jewel ?", that states the init and completed events were combined.  What is the new preferred way to get a creationComplete styled event or when it's 100% setup if the initComplete does not work or is that a bug?

-Mark K

RE: [Non-DoD Source] Re: CreationComplete event question

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil.INVALID>.
Carlos,

>my recommendation is not use such older version. Many many changes was done after 0.9.4.

    Well for all of our official work, we can only use released SDK's, we cannot use test / nightly SDK's to make stuff for production.  So if I go to our Royale download page [1], the latest version posted is 0.9.4.  Which means that's the only version we can make products with until a new version is released.

>I think you should use a nightly build as a minimum (and if you plan to do
>Royale development seriously, my recommendation is you work with the latest
>develop branch, since we are improving and fixing in a day-by-day basic. Is
>strange the day we don't push new changes ;)

    I know what you mean, I like the fact it's being updated all the time.  But to add extra complication (this is an internal organizational thing) GitHub websites are blocked from work, so we cannot download anything from there while at work.  So if we wanted to just try out a nightly build I would have head out to a third party network (Starbucks anyone?), download the nightly binaries, and scan/authorized drive transfer to our isolated development area.

    Could we get a new release cut sometime soon :P ?

>creationComplete does not exists. I think Alex could give more info about why is not.
>I must say that I *never* need that handler anymore, you can do almost all
with "initComplete". I think "this" is always available within a component,
so don't understand why a "initComplete" should not be valid for you. I
just needed in more complex scenarios to use "beadsAdded" handler, for
things in the life cycle of a component.

I agree, we've been very successful with the "initComplete" for everything else so far, except having "this" the newly created object does not successfully compare to a reference of itself ("this == storedReference").  Remember it works with a button that is on the same card/group, so some sort of not fully completed yet or timing issue.  I might have to get a short example together since it still happens on the nightly binaries.

Side notes:
-The nightly binaries do not have the SWC's in the "frameworks\libs" folder they are under each project.  Easy fix find *.swc and copy to the libs folder.
-VO's with plain public variables now complain they don't have getters / setters.  Not sure what to do about this.  Disable warnings for this?

[1] https://royale.apache.org/download/

-Mark K

El lun., 25 mar. 2019 a las 18:07, Kessler CTR Mark J
(<ma...@usmc.mil.invalid>) escribió:

>     Using Royal SDK 0.9.4 binaries with a Jewel Card / Basic Group

my recommendation is not use such older version. Many many changes was done
after 0.9.4.
I think you should use a nightly build as a minimum (and if you plan to do
Royale development seriously, my recommendation is you work with the latest
develop branch, since we are improving and fixing in a day-by-day basic. Is
strange the day we don't push new changes ;)

> and ran into an issue where the "this" reference is not ready / comparable
> while in an "initComplete" event handler.  However after its full creation
> cycle it is available and can be compared.  I tested with a button calling
> the same method as the initComplete did.  Would have tried using a
> "creationComplete" handler, but the event doesn't seem to exist.

creationComplete does not exists. I think Alex could give more info about
why is not.
I must say that I *never* need that handler anymore, you can do almost all
with "initComplete". I think "this" is always available within a component,
so don't understand why a "initComplete" should not be valid for you. I
just needed in more complex scenarios to use "beadsAdded" handler, for
things in the life cycle of a component.

>     Searched the email archive and found the thread "Where is the
> creationComplete in jewel ?", that states the init and completed events
> were combined.  What is the new preferred way to get a creationComplete
> styled event or when it's 100% setup if the initComplete does not work or
> is that a bug?

if initComplete is not working for you I think that's a bug depending on
the scenario. Please describe the problem, the component that is
dispatching the initComplete and a simple handler so we can give more
details, if possible with a nightly build, since if not we can see
different things than you see.

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira