Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by "Paul F. Williams" <pa...@verizon.net> on 2004/01/21 06:26:13 UTC

XQuery

How goes the XQuery integration?  I glanced through CVS, but I didn't find
anything about it.  There seems to be no official direction in the archives,
although there were some interesting ideas.

Having no couth whatsoever, I shall now ask supremely obvious questions.
Has anyone tried to contact leads on existing implementations?  I'm aware
that there are licensing issues.

Is someone working with the Xalan team?  Are they at all interested in
dealing with XQuery?

Does anyone have their own version in the works, waiting for just the right
moment to surprise us all with a massive check-in?

Re: XQuery

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Paul F. Williams wrote:

>>>Mozilla-licensed Saxon does not have licensing issues.
>>>

>Interesting, considering what you said later:

Sometime ago there were no clear decision about MPL1.0. Now I know that
it has issues.

>>>...Apache software is released under the Apache license...
>>>

>>Not all software coming from Apache is Apache-licensed. You can download
>>Apache developed software which might have bundled software licensed
>>

>under:
>

>> * BSD License
>> * Artistic License
>> * Mozilla Public License 1.1
>>Please note that MPL 1.0 is not approved (as of now).
>>

>Saxon 7.8 still uses the MPL 1.0.  I assume that means Saxon is still of
>bounds until ASF formally approves the license.

Well, if it is still at MPL1.0 then you are right.

Vadim

Re: XQuery

Posted by "Paul F. Williams" <pa...@verizon.net>.

Re: XQuery

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Paul F. Williams wrote:

>>>Has anyone tried to contact leads on existing implementations?  I'm aware
>>>that there are licensing issues.
>>>

>>Mozilla-licensed Saxon does not have licensing issues.
>>

>Hmm.  If you are a lawyer representing the Apache Software Foundation, I
>will open my eyes wide in surprise and say, "Cool!  Saxindice!"

I'm not a lawyer, but ASF has a list dedicated to legal issues.

>I don't care to debate the nature of the Mozilla license.  Please correct me
>if I'm wrong, but Apache software is released under the Apache license, an
>"open and pragmatic software license".  Therefore, what matters is whether
>or not the Saxon project's members will re-license their software under the
>Apache license.  If so, then there's no problem.  Has anyone contacted their
>team?

Not all software coming from Apache is Apache-licensed. You can download
Apache developed software which might have bundled software licensed under:
 * BSD License
 * Artistic License
 * Mozilla Public License 1.1

Under some conditions it is possible to redistribute binaries from Sun.
But, it is not possible to include LGPL or GPL licensed Java code. See
also licensing [1] page, chapter 1.3.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/old/Licensing

Re: XQuery

Posted by "Paul F. Williams" <pa...@verizon.net>.
>>Has anyone tried to contact leads on existing implementations?  I'm aware
>>that there are licensing issues.

> Mozilla-licensed Saxon does not have licensing issues.

Hmm.  If you are a lawyer representing the Apache Software Foundation, I
will open my eyes wide in surprise and say, "Cool!  Saxindice!"

I don't care to debate the nature of the Mozilla license.  Please correct me
if I'm wrong, but Apache software is released under the Apache license, an
"open and pragmatic software license".  Therefore, what matters is whether
or not the Saxon project's members will re-license their software under the
Apache license.  If so, then there's no problem.  Has anyone contacted their
team?

Otherwise, the choices are:

1) Find someone else who will release their XQuery implementation under the
Apache license
2) Build a custom XQuery implementation from scratch

While the latter would be educational and enjoyable for some, the former
gives a real head start.

I apologize if I am out of bounds, beating a dead horse, etc.  I am simply
very interested in an Apache-licensed native XML database that supports
XQuery.

Re: XQuery

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Paul F. Williams wrote:

>How goes the XQuery integration?  I glanced through CVS, but I didn't find
>anything about it.  There seems to be no official direction in the archives,
>although there were some interesting ideas.
>
>Having no couth whatsoever, I shall now ask supremely obvious questions.
>Has anyone tried to contact leads on existing implementations?  I'm aware
>that there are licensing issues.

Mozilla-licensed Saxon does not have licensing issues.

>Is someone working with the Xalan team?  Are they at all interested in
>dealing with XQuery?

I guess they are interested, but I've not followed xalan development,
don't know when they plan xquery implementation.

>Does anyone have their own version in the works, waiting for just the right
>moment to surprise us all with a massive check-in?

I'd not bet on it.

Vadim