Posted to photark-dev@incubator.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/10 06:35:58 UTC

PhotArk Road Map

I have started logging some JIRAs to create a road map [1] for the
next PhotArk releases.

Please let me know what do you think, and if you have any other
features you would like us to consider.

[1] http://bit.ly/3yPHJs

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: PhotArk Road Map

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW, here is the INFRA Jira : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-2343

And the wiki is live at
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PHOTARK/

Re: PhotArk Road Map

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Angela Cymbalak <a....@nechtan.org> wrote:
>> I like the wiki idea, it seems easier to maintain.  Is there documentation
>> available on how to get set up with one?  Do we need to talk to the
>> infrastructure folks?
>
> Either Luciano or I can set up a wiki space on Confluence, I believe.
>
> One thing that we should think about is that, if we go with a
> Confluence wiki space, we have the option of driving the PhotArk web
> site from that too. Right now, our site is based on Anakia, which,
> while easy to use, is still not quite as easy as editing a wiki. If we
> choose to drive the site from the wiki, the site would be
> auto-generated from the wiki pages.
>
> At the risk of confusing people, there are actually two public-facing
> sites that we can choose to have:
>
> * The web site. (Required.) This is the "official" site, and
> documentation here can be bundled with a release, if we choose to do
> that. This site could be Anakia-based, as it is today, or
> Confluence-based. It is editable only by committers or (if Confluence)
> those who have a signed iCLA on file.

+1 to have confluence based website and retiring the Anakia-based website

> * A public wiki. (Optional.) This can be made editable by anyone, if
> we choose, but its contents cannot be bundled with a release, because
> that would require signed iCLAs from all contributors.

+1 for delaying this for now, I don't believe we need a wiki as of now yet.

> At this stage, my recommendation would be to go with a web site based
> on Confluence, and no public wiki. My reasoning is that (a) using
> Confluence for the site makes it very easy to update for all PhotArk
> committers and any contributor who is willing to file an iCLA, and (b)
> having a wiki as well as a web site will lead to the little
> documentation we have being split across two locations, which I think
> would hurt our nascent community.
>
> However, that's just my opinion, and it's not up to me, so please,
> everyone, let us know what you think. Luciano, especially - I am not
> trying to nuke the work you have done to set up the Anakia site!

Don't get me wrong :) I don't like the Anakia-based websites, it was
just the simplest way to get something going quickly for PhotArk when
we were setting up the podling.

As for going ahead, I think we need to create the INFRA JIRA
requesting the Confluence wiki space, and then work on setting it up.
Martin, if you have created spaces on the Apache infra before, I'd
appreciate your help on executing this, as I haven't create a space
here yet, and I'm not sure if there is any specific
tweaks/configurations that need to be done... but otherwise I can also
help.

Re: PhotArk Road Map

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: PhotArk Road Map