Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/24 22:17:25 UTC

Dependencies Options

Is it a requirement that i use the remote repository for jars? Is
there a way to reference jars that are distributed with the code when
checked out from the code repository?

Brandon

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
On 4/25/06, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 4/24/06, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It is *strongly* suggested that you do not utilize scope system. This
> > is available for the rare use case which actually requires it.
> >
> > In general, you should add dependencies to your local repo (or a
> > corporate repo, if you are using one) and use <dependency> in the
> > normal manner.
>

> So what do people do when they're using commercial libraries that aren't
> just jars? We use a commercial toolkit that comprises just under 5,000
> files, 40 of which are jar files. Right now, just so that I can use the
> Maven repo, I have to manually deploy each of those jar files to our
> internal repo, adding version numbers, creating group and artifact ids, etc.
> Then I have to package the other files up as a few zip files that I can
> download using the Maven dependency plugin, and deploy those to the repo as
> well. This is a painful manual process that needs to be repeated each time
> we get a new version from the vendor.
>
> Things might be simpler if the dependency plugin actually related to
> dependencies. ;-) What I mean is that, in theory, I could just drop the
> whole 3rd party toolkit into the repo as a zip file, use the dependency
> plugin to grap and explode it, and then reference the jar files in my POM.
> But doing that would require the use of system scope, because the dependency
> plugin doesn't actually add dependencies to your build. (Actually, I really
> don't understand why it's called the 'dependency' plugin, unless I've missed
> something quite fundamental about it. ;)

Really, I think this is one case where using system dependencies make
sense. But expect changes in the system dependencies. From what I have
red, Maven developpers think it is just a temporary patch for those
kind of problems.

> Since I can't imagine that using a commercial toolkit could be considered a
> "rare use case", I'm wondering if I'm missing something rather basic. What
> are other people doing in similar circumstances?

I think system dependencies makes sense there but I could  be wrong.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
On 4/25/06, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since you're a paying customer, I'd ask your vendor to set up a Maven
> repo protected by HTTPS (or something similar to only allow valid
> customers to access it) that you can utilize. Put the onus back on
> them to handle the Maven repo with upgrading components etc.
>
> If this isn't realistic, I'd write a little Perl or Ruby script to
> accept a version number and a directory containing the jars, and make
> system calls to install each jar in turn into your corporate repo.
> When it has finished installing them, it could output a <dependencies>
> xml node that you can cut and paste into your project pom.xml files to
> pull in all the newly installed modules. (Someone actually sent a Ruby
> script to do the first half of this a few weeks ago, check the User
> list archive.)
>
> As for "dependency plugin does not add dependencies"... I'm wondering
> where that's coming from... If your third-party jars were "proper"
> Maven dependencies, they would each have a pom file describing their
> dependencies. So you could include in your pom a dependency on modA,
> which has deps on modB, modC; and modC has deps on modD and modE.
> Simply by adding the modA dep in your project's pom file, you would
> have modA-modE pulled in and used automatically as needed during
> compilation, testing, etc.
>
> Only because you are not creating proper poms for each module,
> declaring what specifically is dependent on what else etc, Maven
> cannot build a dependency tree to discover these transitive
> dependencies. So instead you have to declare every single module
> individually in your pom, I guess. This is not a fault of Maven,
> rather, it is a failure related to your current usage of the tool.
> (imho)
>
> We use some "commercial toolkit" jars as well, but check them into our
> Corporate repo, and just deal with it. Its not that big of a deal for
> us. The 1hr work of one person turns into hours saved not emailing
> jars around to all the various members of different development teams
> to make sure their project lib folders are up to date, dealing with
> large quantities of binary files checked into source control, etc. So
> for us it is an advantage.

Totally agree with you on this one. We did the same and it's worth it.
Save a lot of problems, especially when you want to distribute a new
version.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Gwyn <gw...@gmail.com>.

Martin Cooper-2 wrote:

> Yeah, that's where I figured I'd end up having to go. One thing that's a
> bit
> annoying on that front, though, is that I found that when I put a bunch of
> 'mvn foo'  commands in a Windows batch file, only the first one executes,
> even if that first one is successful. ;-(

Yes, on Windows you need to "call" the mvn command to get control back.
Because of an issue with Maven & XDoclet, I can't use a parent pom.xml so
have the following build.bat...

cd Common && call mvn %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 && cd ..
cd Async && call mvn %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 && cd ..
cd Ejbs && call mvn %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 && cd ..
cd AdminWAR && call mvn %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 && cd ..
cd BonusWAR && call mvn %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 && cd ..
cd ConfigWAR && call mvn %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 && cd ..

/Gwyn

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by dan tran <da...@gmail.com>.
Perhaps a name change request should be thru JIRA against MDEP?

-D

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 4/25/06, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since you're a paying customer, I'd ask your vendor to set up a Maven
> repo protected by HTTPS (or something similar to only allow valid
> customers to access it) that you can utilize. Put the onus back on
> them to handle the Maven repo with upgrading components etc.

I can try, but I won't hold my breath. ;-) In particular, there's no one way
that would make sense for all of their customers to partition the ~5,000
files that are not jars.

If this isn't realistic, I'd write a little Perl or Ruby script to
> accept a version number and a directory containing the jars, and make
> system calls to install each jar in turn into your corporate repo.
> When it has finished installing them, it could output a <dependencies>
> xml node that you can cut and paste into your project pom.xml files to
> pull in all the newly installed modules. (Someone actually sent a Ruby
> script to do the first half of this a few weeks ago, check the User
> list archive.)

Yeah, that's where I figured I'd end up having to go. One thing that's a bit
annoying on that front, though, is that I found that when I put a bunch of
'mvn foo'  commands in a Windows batch file, only the first one executes,
even if that first one is successful. ;-(

As for "dependency plugin does not add dependencies"... I'm wondering
> where that's coming from... If your third-party jars were "proper"
> Maven dependencies, they would each have a pom file describing their
> dependencies. So you could include in your pom a dependency on modA,
> which has deps on modB, modC; and modC has deps on modD and modE.
> Simply by adding the modA dep in your project's pom file, you would
> have modA-modE pulled in and used automatically as needed during
> compilation, testing, etc.

Sorry, that's not what I mean at all. I can use dependency:copy or
dependency:unpack to get artifacts from the repo, but as far as I can
determine, there is zero relationship between those artifacts and my build
dependencies. Certainly anything I obtain that way is not treated as a
dependency for build purposes. So I don't understand why they're in a plugin
called a 'dependency' plugin.

I understand that the '-dependencies' versions of these goals are based on
declared dependencies, but that wasn't what I was referring to. Admittedly,
I wasn't clear about that. Sorry.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Kristian Nordal <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Use "mvn install:install-file ..." to install those ejb3 files into
your local repository. Then use scope compile, test, or provided as
necessary.

This is documented on the Maven website:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-installing-3rd-party-jars.html

Wayne

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
Well using the Jboss jars is indeed the solution. The only thing I
would do is install it in my local repository using
install:install-file. But you have to know it won't work on other
desktop so usually you should have an internal corporation repository
and deploy them there. This each developper won't have to install them
manually. After that, you can work with those jar like they were
normal dependencies.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Anshuman Srivastava <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
On 4/24/06, Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/24/06, Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "tons of advantages" - please quantify this.
>
> Well distributing internal corporation dependencies and managing the
> version, especially nightly build is way easier using Maven repository
> capabilities. Managing your project dependencies version is also
> really easier (especially conflicts and snapshots).
>
> All the Maven generated reports also work better with regular
> dependencies because they can find some metadatas to work with.
>

> > Personally, I find the repository to be a "nice" piece of Maven. But,
> > I don't see it as a cardinal sin to actually distribute libraries in
> > your project. If you follow the libary naming convention then who
> > cares?
> >
> > Personally, what i find annoying are the copious additional, needless,
> > and redundant dependencies that i have to download because of the
> > dependencies defined in the pom of a jar that i need to download.
>
> Nothing the exclude tag can't fix.
>
> > I also find it annoying to have to manually install several small
> > libraries to my local repo cuz i can't distribute them as a result of
> > licensing. It is additionally annoying to have to setup a jar
> > repository that will be used for jars that will be needed that can
> > only be distributed privately. All of this... vs. me just referencing
> > them in my source tree?
> >

> You are making this sound like it is a lot of work. Manually
> installing files on a corporate repository using install:install-file

wanted to say deploy:deploy-file

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
On 4/25/06, Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 21:25 -0400, Alexandre Poitras wrote:
> > On 4/24/06, Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > "tons of advantages" - please quantify this.
> >
> > Well distributing internal corporation dependencies and managing the
> > version, especially nightly build is way easier using Maven repository
> > capabilities. Managing your project dependencies version is also
> > really easier (especially conflicts and snapshots).
>
> I would disagree. Managing dependencies is really easy when you've
> checked jars into a directory - the jars used are the ones in that dir,
> and nothing else.

Well if you depend on a project developped concurrently (some common
component) and not a stable component, it is easier. Easy to upgrade
to a newer version and especially easy to get the new nightly builds
in the morning. Of course, this is doable using some other mechanism
but you have to it manually. Maven just see there are a fresh snapshot
available and download it. Well, from experience I have found it
easier but I guess it depends if Maven fit the way your corporation
work.

> Of course this does have the disadvantages listed in my mail (more repo
> space needed, more bandwidth).
>

> > All the Maven generated reports also work better with regular
> > dependencies because they can find some metadatas to work with.
>
> true.
>

> > > Personally, I find the repository to be a "nice" piece of Maven. But,
> > > I don't see it as a cardinal sin to actually distribute libraries in
> > > your project. If you follow the libary naming convention then who
> > > cares?
> > >
> > > Personally, what i find annoying are the copious additional, needless,
> > > and redundant dependencies that i have to download because of the
> > > dependencies defined in the pom of a jar that i need to download.
> >
> > Nothing the exclude tag can't fix.
>
> That can be quite clumsy to use, though. Sometimes half-a-dozen libs
> need to be excluded, at which point the pom becomes hard to read.

Yup but if it is the case it is usually because the original
dependency pom has some dependencies that should be declared optional.
Time to fill a JIRA issue.

Also, the key here is using a super pom so those settings are fixed
for all your projects, this is what I do with Spring and Hibernate and
it works very well. I don't have to declare all those exclude again
and again.

> > > I also find it annoying to have to manually install several small
> > > libraries to my local repo cuz i can't distribute them as a result of
> > > licensing. It is additionally annoying to have to setup a jar
> > > repository that will be used for jars that will be needed that can
> > > only be distributed privately. All of this... vs. me just referencing
> > > them in my source tree?
> > >

> > You are making this sound like it is a lot of work. Manually
> > installing files on a corporate repository using install:install-file
> > usually doesn't take more time then checking them inside SVN. A maven
> > repository is basically a Jar versionning systems.
>
> [as noted in your followup, you meant deploy:deploy-file]
>
> That's assuming that a corporate repo exists and that it has upload
> support available.

Yup but honestly I wouldn't use Maven without it because when you find
a bug on ibiblio you don't have to wait for your bug report to be
treated, you can fix it on internal corporation repository in the mean
time.

> > > I like Maven a lot and really enjoy the standard project layout
> > > features and plugins that are provided. But, the jar repository has
> > > caused me more time and less efficiency. However, i do like ibiblio
> > > for a single one stop shop for grabbing jars i need... to drop in my
> > > source tree ;-)
> > >
> > > I like it when people can check out my source from SVN and simply
> > > build. This is possible when i place them in SVN. Heck, I can even
> > > check Sun Jars into my SVN repo! ;)
> >
> > If you have a remote Maven repository on the same server as your SVN
> > repo, I really don't see the difference.
>
> True, as long as:
> (a) your svn server is already running behind a webserver, so the maven
> repo can easily be set up,
> (b) there is some upload support for that server,
> (c) there is some way of ensuring that jars always come from this repo,
> and never from ibiblio (this is the hardest bit in my experience)

You're right except couple of things :
- a) Http is not mandatory, you can use ftp or sctp for instance.
- c) Well this is one is easy to fix, install Maven proxy on your
internal corporation repository. Now on your desktop, go in your
settings.xml and declare this repository as the only mirror of
central. You'll never go on ibiblio again, the proxy will if you have
configured it to do so. The only possible downside of this approach is
that your repository server needs acces to the Internet.

I understand inital difficulties using Maven repositories but once you
have an internal corporation repository coupled with Maven-proxy,
things get better. Well right now Maven-proxy is not the best tool but
it does work. A newer version is coming shipped in Maven repository
tools or something like that, I don't remember the name but it looks
promising. Can't wait to see the result.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
The sun jars were a minor point. You still didn't answer the larger context.

Brandon

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
No worries, Brandon. I have to run now but I'll be happy to continue
the discussion later tonight... ;-)

Wayne

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
Just one more thing I dislike about system dependencies I wanted to
specify. A good practice is usually to do a complete project check out
after a check in. Takes a lot of times when you have several jars
bundled with your projects.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi,

[...]

and offline set to true. This wouldn't be recommended for sites that

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
For your reading pleasure:

1. You may reproduce and use the Software for
Individual, Commercial, or Research and Instructional
Use for the purposes of designing, developing,
testing, and running Your applets and applications
("Programs").

2. Subject to the terms and conditions of this
Agreement and restrictions and exceptions set forth in
the Software's documentation, You may reproduce and
distribute Software, provided that:

(a) you distribute the Software complete and
unmodified and only bundled as part of Your Programs,

(b) your Programs add significant and primary
functionality to the Software,

(c) you distribute Software for the sole purpose of
running your Programs,

(d) you do not distribute additional software intended
to replace any
component(s) of the Software,

(e) you do not remove or alter any proprietary legends
or notices contained in or on the Software.

(f) you only distribute the Software subject to a
license agreement that
protects Sun's interests consistent with the terms
contained in this
Agreement, and

(g) you agree to defend and indemnify Sun and its
licensors from and against any damages, costs,
liabilities, settlement amounts and/or expenses
(including attorneys' fees) incurred in connection
with any claim, lawsuit or action by any third party
that arises or results from the use or distribution of
any and all Programs and/or Software.

Re: Dependencies Options

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dependencies Options