Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2006/07/01 05:50:49 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Migrate log4j-concurrent from sandbox to trunk

On Jun 30, 2006, at 4:10 PM, Elias Ross wrote:

> This thread is to discuss adding a "concurrent" library to the Log4j
> "trunk".
>
> I wrote this library primarily to avoid deadlock situations as
> explained
> in bug 24159.  In addition to avoiding deadlock situations, I believe
> the bug 33855 explains the reason for wanting to provide a
> "concurrent"
> appender package, in addition to the existing logging appenders.
>
> An adequate analogy might be having java.util.Hashtable and
> java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap in the same library.
>
> Now, in addition to simply merging the code over, I have also some
> patches against the main Log4j that I recommend applying as well.
>
> http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=17613 (start from
> the bottom)

Quite a few of the changes in that attachment or alternative takes on
the same issues have already been applied to trunk.  I've review the
changes to the layout classes and have committed changes (rev 418432)
that I believe addressed your concerns with the Layout classes.  If I
missed something let me know and attach issue specific patches.

> The main "fix" is to make the various Layout classes thread-safe.
> Now,
> I can actually adapt my code to assume non-thread-safety, but it seems
> reasonable to require that all layouts used with the concurrent
> appenders be thread safe and that all Log4J supplied layouts should be
> thread-safe.
>
> Additionally you'll see in the, I did notice that buffered I/O by
> default does help performance quite a bit, and even combined with
> flushing per message helps out.  I do suggest changing the default
> to be
> the faster configuration.

I'd be very reluctant to change the default value of a significant
configuration parameter.  However, if we were to consider it, I'd
suggest filing a distinct bug and calling for a separate vote.

Re: [VOTE] was Re: [DISCUSS] Migrate log4j-concurrent from sandbox to trunk

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
+1 (have actually suffered deadlock problems with log4j in production)

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
+1.

Yoav

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
+1

Jake

Posted by Elias Ross <er...@m-qube.com>.

Posted by Elias Ross <er...@m-qube.com>.
On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 14:05 -0700, Elias Ross wrote:

> Does anybody have comments pertaining to the migration itself?

Are there any comments about the migration?  Any comments about the
source.

Posted by Elias Ross <er...@m-qube.com>.
On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 22:50 -0500, Curt Arnold wrote:

> I'd be very reluctant to change the default value of a significant
> configuration parameter.  However, if we were to consider it, I'd
> suggest filing a distinct bug and calling for a separate vote.

I will file a separate bug for this task.

Does anybody have comments pertaining to the migration itself?