Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2008/11/19 21:49:50 UTC

[Lenya Wiki] Update of "DocuPublicationRedesignContestDraft" by AndreasHartmann

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lenya Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by AndreasHartmann:
http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/DocuPublicationRedesignContestDraft

  == Background ==

- At our Lenya Meeting in June 08 in Freiburg we discussed the design of Lenya. There are several candidates for a new design: The Lenya documentation website (lenya.apache.org), the Lenya default pubication shipped with Lenya and finally the Lenya authoring UI. As the idea of a contest is new and resources are limited we decided to start with the design of the Lenya website. The website currently has a raw design and is of course driven by Lenya.
+ At our Lenya Meeting in June 08 in Freiburg we discussed the design of Lenya. There are several candidates for a new design: The Lenya documentation website (lenya.apache.org), the Lenya default publication shipped with Lenya and finally the Lenya authoring UI. As the idea of a contest is new and resources are limited we decided to start with the design of the Lenya website. The website currently has a raw design and is of course driven by Lenya.

  == Design Goals ==

  The Lenya website serves two (possibly more ;-)) main goals:
- It welcomes new users and informs what Lenya is about. This IMO could be done shorter and clearer – with a bit more focus on the overal look of the HP. Returning users might be interested in a news section – feel free to add one in your design.
+ It welcomes new users and informs what Lenya is about. This IMO could be done shorter and clearer – with a bit more focus on the overal look of the homepage. Returning users might be interested in a news section – feel free to add one in your design.

  The Lenya website provides documentation for people evaluating Lenya or using it already. For this part of the website, the most important aspect is the usability of the documentation: Clarity in structure, text that is easy to read and print; with well designed semantic elements.

@@ -23, +23 @@

  Feel free to do a redesign the way that suits you best:

- '''Either do the design in a design program and provide png(s)'''
+ '''Either do the design in a design program and provide PNG image(s)'''
  You find the Lenya logo here: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lenya/sandbox/design/docupub-redesign/resources/)

  '''Do the redesign directly in css'''
- A zip-Archive of the docu publication is here: attachment:lenya-docupub-0811.zip
+ A ZIP archive of the docu publication is here: attachment:lenya-docupub-0811.zip

  == Technical Requirements ==

-  * Minimal Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768 (height on the Homepage only)
+  * Minimal screen resolution: 1024 x 768 (height on the homepage only)
   * Accessiblity: Good contrast, no information provided by colours alone. Use either a fluid design or one with a fixed screen width.

- when you design using photoshop / fireworks
+ When you design using photoshop / fireworks:
-  * Attach your photoshop / fireworks file and exported pngs from the pages you redesigned – that helps us with the implementation.
+  * Attach your photoshop / fireworks file and exported PNGs from the pages you redesigned – that helps us with the implementation.
-  * If you use pictures – be shure there will be no licence issues
+  * If you use pictures, make sure there will be no licence issues.

- when you design using css
+ When you design using CSS:
-  * use web standards and validate your css
+  * Use web standards and validate your css.
-  * compatibility: IE 6 and higher, Firefox 3, Safari 2
+  * Compatibility: IE 6 and higher, Firefox 3, Safari 2

  == How To Enter ==
  Everything will be attached to the following Bugzilla entry: TODO
- You will need to create a new bugzilla account to do that.
+ You will need to create a new Bugzilla account to do that.

-  * Attach one ore more images of the redesign.  Include 330x220 JPEG samples one each of homepage and interior page-- fit three samples per 1024x768 screen; JPEG seems the favorite format for the SOLR contest.  Also need full screen versions -- HTML and associated files?
+  * Attach one ore more images of the redesign.  Include 330x220 JPEG samples one each of homepage and interior page – fit three samples per 1024x768 screen; JPEG seems the favorite format for the SOLR contest. Also need full screen versions – HTML and associated files?
-  * Optionally attach additional resources (css, Photoshop or Fireworks files).
+  * Optionally attach additional resources (CSS, Photoshop or Fireworks files).

- Multiple entries may be submitted by a single person. (Bear in mind: voting will be for an entry, not the person who submitted them so multiple entries will compete against each other.  This may be improved by voting for every entry before vote for best entry.)
+ Multiple entries may be submitted by a single person. (Bear in mind: voting will be for an entry, not the person who submitted them so multiple entries will compete against each other. This may be improved by voting for every entry before vote for best entry.)

- TODO: As for as I can tell, there is no built-in mechanism to let users agree on the asf license in bugzilla (in Jiira this seems possible) - any suggestions on how we can do this correctly?
+ TODO: As for as I can tell, there is no built-in mechanism to let users agree on the ASF license in Bugzilla (in Jira this seems possible) – any suggestions on how we can do this correctly?

  Ask legal if placing a notice in the introduction to the Bugzilla is enough.  Ask for the best phrases, i.e. mix and match:
   * Attachments | Submittals | The winning entry
   * to this bugzilla | to this contest
   * are automatically | become
-  * under the asf license. | the property of the ASF.
+  * under the ASF license. | the property of the ASF.
  Or must every entry contain a phrase like "This submission may be used under the Apache license."  (Again, ask legal for phrasing.)
  Do we need submitters to sign paper with the ASF?  ASAP or only before use (after the contest ends)?

@@ -71, +71 @@

  We should use a Lenya application for a better voting process.  Display a page of entries vertically with images of each entry's homepage and interior page horizontally.  Clicking opens the full screen entry in new window.  Designers should include sample graphics -- recommend 330x210 JPEG to fit three samples per 1024x768 screen.  (JPEG seems the favorite format for the SOLR contest.)

+ ----
+
+ AndreasHartmann: I think voting on the user mailing list is sufficient. We can prepare a page displaying the contestants' submissions like you described and assign a number or textual ID to each entry. The vote can just refer to the IDs.
+
+ ----
+
  At least the first round of votes should be for all entries to offset similar entries being damaged by splitting the vote.  Each person votes for every entry:
    Hate - Dislike - Like - Love
   * Limit Hate and Love votes per person each to 1/5? of entries.  (Each five entries allows one Love vote and one Hate vote per person.)
   * Three? Lenya Committers' Hate votes vetoes an entry?
   * How can non-Committers vote be verified one per person?  People can have many email addresses.  Accepting only apache.org addresses limits to Apache Committers.  Lenya Committers' votes count double (or more)?
   * If no entry is a clear winner, add a second round for the best choosing one entry per voter.
+
+ ----
+
+ AndreasHartmann: Another option would be that each user has e.g. 5 "stars" which she can distribute over the entries (e.g., 3 stars for entry A, 1 star for B and one star for C). That would avoid the negative psychological impact caused by "Hate" votes :)
+
+ ----

  == Time Line ==
  * Deadline for Submissions: