Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by "Ueberbach, Michael" <mi...@dbh.de> on 2007/07/09 11:44:02 UTC

Problems using openJPA

Hello all,

I have some problems using openJPA with Geronimo V2 (M6RC1). The application (stateless session beans and entity beans) is written in EJB3-Style
using only annotations (persistence.xml is the only descriptor) and is deployed succesfully.
When trying to fetch some data the following exception is thrown

23:38:42,637 ERROR [OpenEJB] The bean instances business method encountered a system exception: Could not locate metadata for the class using alias "Person". This could mean that the OpenJPA enhancer or load-time weaver was not run on the type whose alias is "Person". Registered alias mappings: "{Person=null}"
<1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-SNAPSHOT fatal user error> org.apache.openjpa.persistence.ArgumentException: Could not locate metadata for the class using alias "Person". This could mean that the OpenJPA enhancer or load-time weaver was not run on the type whose alias is "Person". Registered alias mappings: "{Person=null}"
	at org.apache.openjpa.meta.MetaDataRepository.getMetaData(MetaDataRepository.java:348)
	(...)

("Person" is the name used in the @entity annotation for the entity bean.)

There are some other warnings before. But I do not really understand their importance and whether they are relying to the exception coming later.

First this one while deploying (coming a lot of times):
23:31:35,979 WARN  [Runtime] The property named "openjpa.ClassTransformerOptions" was not recognized and will be ignored, although the name closely matches a valid property called "openjpa.ClassResolver".

Second this one while trying to fetch the data

23:38:41,410 WARN  [Enhance] An exception was thrown while attempting to perform class file transformation on "de/lama/sample3/stammdaten/ejb/PersonBean":
<1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-SNAPSHOT nonfatal user error> org.apache.openjpa.util.UserException: Type "de.lama.sample3.stammdaten.ejb.PersonBean" attempts to use both field and property access. Only one access method is permitted.

This second warning seems strange to me because all used property getters are annotated and no private field has any annotation, so the access method
is clear.

Has someone an idea what's going wrong here?

Many thanks for any advice.

dbh Logistics IT AG

Michael Ueberbach
Software Management

Faulenstr. 31, 28195 Bremen

Fon:		+49 421 30902-49
Fax:		+49 421 30902-57
E-Mail:	michael.ueberbach@dbh.de
Internet:   www.dbh.de - www.plusmove.de <http://www.plusmove.de>

dbh Logistics IT AG, Sitz / Registered Office: Faulenstraße 31, 28195 Bremen, Deutschland / Germany
Registergericht  / Companies' Register: Amtsgericht Bremen, HRB 20499
Vorstandsvorsitzender  / Chief Executive Officer (CEO): Reimund Ott
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates / Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Klaus Platz

Haftungsausschluss:
Diese Nachricht enthält vertrauliche Informationen und ist ausschließlich für den Adressaten bestimmt. Falls Sie die Daten irrtümlich erhalten haben, nehmen Sie bitte Kontakt mit dem Absender auf und löschen Sie die Daten auf jedem Computer und Datenträger. Die dbh Logistics IT AG ist nicht verantwortlich für die ordnungsgemäße, vollständige und verzögerungsfreie Übertragung der Nachricht. Der Inhalt der E-Mail ist nur rechtsverbindlich, wenn er unsererseits durch einen Brief oder ein Fax entsprechend bestätigt wird.

Exclusion of Liability:
This message contains confidential information and is destined for the recipient exclusively. Should you have received these data by mistake, please contact the originator and delete the data from all your computers and data storage media. dbh Logistics IT AG is not liable for the proper, complete and undelayed transmission of the message. The content of the e-mail is not legally binding, unless it is confirmed appropriately by a supplementary fax or letter from us.

AW: AW: Problems using openJPA

Posted by "Ueberbach, Michael" <mi...@dbh.de>.
Hello David,

To your last question: The SUN spec says

"In addition to returning and setting the persistent state of the instance, the property accessor methods
may contain other business logic as well, for example, to perform validation. The persistence provider
runtime executes this logic when property-based access is used."

openJPA follows this in offering the two possibilities of accessing. The openJPA manual says

"JPA offers two modes of persistent state access: field access, and property access.
To use property access, set your entity element's access attribute to PROPERTY, or place your metadata and mapping annotations on the getter method.
Each class must use either field access or property access for all state; you cannot use both access types within the same class."

The whole problem is that the described way to choose the property access by placing the annotations at the getter methods does not show any effects.
More worse openJPA throws an org.apache.openjpa.util.UserException (as described) and does not choose any of the two alternative ways.

This exceptions sounds as if the annotations set at the getter methods were not reckognized when parsing the entity classes. The question for me is:
Have I to do something more (or have I chosen the wrong annotations or what ever) to get this code working?

The test with jboss was done to see whether there also an error would be visible, but it was not. I agree that this gives no final security about the compliance of jboss. Indeed my aim is to get the thing working on geronimo/openJPA!

Thanks for any help
Michael

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

AW: Problems using openJPA

AW: Problems using openJPA

Posted by "Ueberbach, Michael" <mi...@dbh.de>.
Hi Jacek,

Re: Problems using openJPA

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

AW: Problems using openJPA

Posted by "Ueberbach, Michael" <mi...@dbh.de>.
Hello Jacek,

Thanks for the prompt answer. I will send the jar as soon as possible. Unfortunately I'm at the moment not at my used workplace.

Regards
Michael

> 23:38:42,637 ERROR [OpenEJB] The bean instances business method
> encountered a system exception: Could not locate metadata for the
> class using alias "Person". This could mean that the OpenJPA enhancer
> or load-time weaver was not run on the type whose alias is "Person". Registered alias mappings:
> "{Person=null}"
> First this one while deploying (coming a lot of times):
> 23:31:35,979 WARN  [Runtime] The property named
> "openjpa.ClassTransformerOptions" was not recognized and will be
> ignored, although the name closely matches a valid property called
> "openjpa.ClassResolver".

Ignore it.

> 23:38:41,410 WARN  [Enhance] An exception was thrown while attempting
> to perform class file transformation on
> "de/lama/sample3/stammdaten/ejb/PersonBean":
>
> <1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-SNAPSHOT nonfatal user error>
> org.apache.openjpa.util.UserException: Type
> "de.lama.sample3.stammdaten.ejb.PersonBean" attempts to use both field
> and property access. Only one access method is permitted.

That's the culprit. Could you publish the entity jar you deployed to Geronimo. I think that Geronimo doesn't add much to it - OpenJPA (the default JPA provider) can't do its job and complains and so does Geronimo.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: Problems using openJPA

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 7/9/07, Ueberbach, Michael <mi...@dbh.de> wrote:

> 23:38:42,637 ERROR [OpenEJB] The bean instances business method encountered
> a system exception: Could not locate metadata for the class using alias
> "Person". This could mean that the OpenJPA enhancer or load-time weaver was
> not run on the type whose alias is "Person". Registered alias mappings:
> "{Person=null}"
> First this one while deploying (coming a lot of times):
> 23:31:35,979 WARN  [Runtime] The property named
> "openjpa.ClassTransformerOptions" was not recognized and will be ignored,
> although the name closely matches a valid property called
> "openjpa.ClassResolver".

Ignore it.