Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net> on 2004/07/28 05:32:58 UTC

Re: maven repository

Hi Mark,

I'd like to upload all taglibs to the repository, but I have some
questions:

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 12:12, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> 1.) create a project directory for taglibs that looks like
>
> /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/jakarta-taglibs/jars/standard-<version>.jar
> /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/jakarta-taglibs/jars/jndi-<version>.jar
> /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/jakarta-taglibs/jars/<tag-lib>-<version>.jar

1.Is /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/ still the right directory
that is synced to ibiblio? If so, where the taglibs from ibiblio came
from (as that directory does not have any of our artifacts)?

2.Ibiblio already have groups for jstl and taglibs, but they have just a
few jars. So, we have 2 options:

a.maintain that structure
b.put everything on jakarta-taglibs, removing these old files from
ibiblio

I opt for option b - the only problem is that if remove jstl and taglibs
from ibiblio, it might break other projects that depends on them (I
would still prefer that option, as those groups are crippled).

> 2.) for the last couple releases we should probibly just extract the
> jars from the tar ball distributions and generate md5's for them.

Ideally, we should 'mavenize' the whole project. But for now, we can
just generate/upload the MD5 files manually.

> 3.) finally, a SNAPSHOT symlink and reference file should be generate
> which points to the latest release for each taglib:

I read in some ASF list that we should not be providing SNAPSHOTs, only
official releases.

Once you confirm my questions, I can write some shell scripts to
populate our repository.

Regards,

Felipe

Re: maven repository

Posted by Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net>.
On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 10:30, mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu wrote:

> Yes, but, you should do all your work to setup the directory structure in a
> staging area like your home directory before placing anything into these

Done:

http://apache.org/~felipeal/maven_repo/

> directories. Have someone else whose done the process review everything prior
> to moving it into the repository.

Could you please take a quick look on that directory? I will also ask on
the maven-dev list...

> I don't believe that removing something from java-repository actually removes
> it from ibiblio because of the rsync process. Yes, you should leave whatever
> is on ibiblio there at this time.

Ok, I will leave it there (although I don't like redundant stuff)

> SNAPSHOT is different than unofficial release, SNAPSHOT referes to a link to
> the most recent release. an unofficial release is one that has the date as a
> version number, thus there can be SNAPSHOTS that point to official releases in
> the repository.

I thought a SNAPSHOT always pointed to the latest unofficial release (in
fact, Maven lacks the concept of CURRENT, which would be a link to the
last official release).

Anyway, we can pass on the SNAPSHOT concept, as the taglibs are not
released that often.

> Cheers, I'll be around next week if you need help, but I don't suspect I'll
> have time to respond the rest of this week.

Hopefully you can still check that repo this week :-)

Thanks again for helping it out,

Felipe

Re: maven repository

Posted by Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net>.
On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 10:30, mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu wrote:

> Yes, but, you should do all your work to setup the directory structure in a
> staging area like your home directory before placing anything into these

Done:

http://apache.org/~felipeal/maven_repo/

> directories. Have someone else whose done the process review everything prior
> to moving it into the repository.

Could you please take a quick look on that directory? I will also ask on
the maven-dev list...

> I don't believe that removing something from java-repository actually removes
> it from ibiblio because of the rsync process. Yes, you should leave whatever
> is on ibiblio there at this time.

Ok, I will leave it there (although I don't like redundant stuff)

> SNAPSHOT is different than unofficial release, SNAPSHOT referes to a link to
> the most recent release. an unofficial release is one that has the date as a
> version number, thus there can be SNAPSHOTS that point to official releases in
> the repository.

I thought a SNAPSHOT always pointed to the latest unofficial release (in
fact, Maven lacks the concept of CURRENT, which would be a link to the
last official release).

Anyway, we can pass on the SNAPSHOT concept, as the taglibs are not
released that often.

> Cheers, I'll be around next week if you need help, but I don't suspect I'll
> have time to respond the rest of this week.

Hopefully you can still check that repo this week :-)

Thanks again for helping it out,

Felipe

Re: maven repository

Posted by md...@latte.harvard.edu.
Felipe,

I'mon vacation this week so you may not get many responses from me. I'll try
to be breif.

Quoting Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net>:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I'd like to upload all taglibs to the repository, but I have some
> questions:
>

> On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 12:12, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
> > 1.) create a project directory for taglibs that looks like
> >

> /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/jakarta-taglibs/jars/standard-
<version>.jar

> /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/jakarta-taglibs/jars/jndi-
<version>.jar

> /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/jakarta-taglibs/jars/<tag-lib>-
<version>.jar

> 1.Is /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/ still the right directory
> that is synced to ibiblio? If so, where the taglibs from ibiblio came
> from (as that directory does not have any of our artifacts)?

Yes, but, you should do all your work to setup the directory structure in a
staging area like your home directory before placing anything into these
directories. Have someone else whose done the process review everything prior
to moving it into the repository.

> 2.Ibiblio already have groups for jstl and taglibs, but they have just a
> few jars. So, we have 2 options:
>
> a.maintain that structure
> b.put everything on jakarta-taglibs, removing these old files from
> ibiblio
>
> I opt for option b - the only problem is that if remove jstl and taglibs
> from ibiblio, it might break other projects that depends on them (I
> would still prefer that option, as those groups are crippled).

I don't believe that removing something from java-repository actually removes
it from ibiblio because of the rsync process. Yes, you should leave whatever
is on ibiblio there at this time.

> > 2.) for the last couple releases we should probibly just extract the
> > jars from the tar ball distributions and generate md5's for them.
>
> Ideally, we should 'mavenize' the whole project. But for now, we can
> just generate/upload the MD5 files manually.

thats fine.

> > 3.) finally, a SNAPSHOT symlink and reference file should be generate
> > which points to the latest release for each taglib:
>
> I read in some ASF list that we should not be providing SNAPSHOTs, only
> official releases.

SNAPSHOT is different than unofficial release, SNAPSHOT referes to a link to
the most recent release. an unofficial release is one that has the date as a
version number, thus there can be SNAPSHOTS that point to official releases in
the repository.

> Once you confirm my questions, I can write some shell scripts to
> populate our repository.
>
> Regards,
>
> Felipe

Cheers, I'll be around next week if you need help, but I don't suspect I'll
have time to respond the rest of this week.

-Mark