Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Vineet G H <vg...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/09 18:43:37 UTC

Cassandra Hints file corruption

Hello All,

We have a 14 node Cassandra cluster 3.11.1. For some odd reason
intermittently we see the following error

ERROR [HintsDispatcher:1] 2018-04-06 16:26:44,423
CassandraDaemon.java:228 - Exception in thread
Thread[HintsDispatcher:1,1,main]
org.apache.cassandra.io.FSReadError: java.io.IOException: Digest
mismatch exception
at org.apache.cassandra.hints.HintsReader$BuffersIterator.computeNext(HintsReader.java:298)
~[apache-cassandra-3.11.1.jar:3.11.1-SNAPSHOT]

The jar in question has the patch from bug

We are able get past the issue by running truncatehints

1. Could these new manifestation of the issue? Probably not related to bug above
2. Are there any tools which dump hints file content?
3. What are the implication of truncatehints? Sounds like there could
be data loss, but we have quoram for writes and reads, which means we
should enough replicas to reconstruct the data.

I am gathering more evidence on the issue would be happy to work with devs

Regards,
Vineet

Re: Cassandra Hints file corruption

Posted by Vineet G H <vg...@gmail.com>.
Yes, the commit log show that we built it out f919cf4a4 which we used
later locally to build it.

I realize that using release artifact is suggested. We tried even
3.11.1 ( official release) and where able to reproduce this issue on
14 node cluster

Posted by Michael Shuler <mi...@pbandjelly.org>.

--
Michael