Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> on 2006/03/28 14:09:05 UTC

Distributing Cocoon

Upayavira wrote:

> Yes, but here we're talking about downloading stuff needed to build
> Cocoon aren't we? So we end up downloading _all_ dependencies. I've no
> problem with that particularly. What I want to see is small, snappy
> binary distributions. If we still have a large source download, that's
> fine with me. And, IIUC, what we're doing is in line with that.

After reading your response I think there is a need to clearify what
"distributing Cocoon" means.

IMO there are two ways:

  a) distribute artifacts via Maven 2
  b) prebuild applications

While the first is used if you start a Cocoon based project, the latter is used
to demonstrate the functionality of Cocoon and should _not_ be used to start a
Cocoon project.

Let's look closer into option a). In order to start a project we need a Maven 2
archetype that contains a webapp skeleton with minimal block dependencies. All
the blocks are deployed to the Maven repositories. That's it. The only open
question is licensing as our artifacts don't contain the license file - but this
is not a Cocoon specific problem and needs to be solved ASF-wide.

Option b) means that we create some file that contains a ready-to-use
application. Maybe we can offer two versions, one could be called "default" and
contains Cocoon core, cTemplate, cForms, JavaFlow and PDF-generation and the
second could be a "complete" distribution that contains everything. The complete
distribution could be deployed to our Solaris-zone for demonstration purpose.

As written in my answer to David, we need to configure the assembly plugin so
that we can build an archive that contains
    * the webapp (either default or complete)
    * a container (Jetty)
    * all license files
and we need a start/stop-scripts for *nix and win32 that can be included.

I'd put the assembly configuration into the commons module (doesn't exist but
will be created tommorrow).

Any takers for the assembly configuration?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc