Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org> on 2014/09/02 15:36:22 UTC

Brooklyn "first contact"

All,

You may have seen a load of JIRA issues appear in the last few hours -
story BROOKLYN-50 and its subtasks.

>From talking to new users of Brooklyn we've realised that we've not
made getting started as easy as perhaps it could be. We have -
unintentionally - made some speedbumps on the way. While our getting
started guide[1] is reasonably good, if you try and do something off
that path then you could hit trouble. A key example of this is that if
you prefer to install Brooklyn on a different machine instead of your
local workstation, Brooklyn will deny remote access to the web UI.

Many of the tasks on BROOKLYN-50 are around being able to do useful
things with Brooklyn without having to manually configure it. So if
there's no configuration for a secure username and password, generate
a user with a random password and print it to the startup log. Allow
locations to be added through the web UI, instead of requiring editing
brooklyn.properties. And ensure that the catalog is populated with all
the entities that Brooklyn supports out-of-the-box.

If you have any further ideas for making Brooklyn easier to use,
please feel free to propose on this list, or add a subtask to this
story.

Cheers,
Richard.

[1]https://brooklyn.incubator.apache.org/quickstart/