Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2008/03/23 21:55:57 UTC

Confluence Based Website Access Control

Just a reminder to all PMC Members and podlings: no one is to have write
access to a Confluence-backed web site who is not a Committer on the
project.

	--- Noel

Re: Confluence Based Website Access Control

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
Noel specifically said "Confluence-backed web sites". A regular wiki that is
not used to create a web site does not have the same restriction, whether
it's on Confluence or MoinMoin. For the full story, see:

http://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@mulesource.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Luciano Resende wrote:

> From what you said, we are on the same page, and this is how it happened.

Right.  I don't have any issue with what you've done, as described.  I had
no one here particularly in mind when I posted the general notice.  It was
actually instigated by a situation elsewhere within the ASF, but I wanted to
remind everyone here.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
>From what you said, we are on the same page, and this is how it happened.

Thanks

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Luciano Resende wrote:
>
>  > Based on previous discussion [1], the Tuscany PPMC has voted to grant
>  > some some community members, with proper CLA on file, to have write
>  > access to the Confluence wiki website. Is this NOT acceptable anymore?
>
>  PMC must vote, so let's be clear on this: minimum of 3 binding votes, like
>  everything else.  But with the vote AND the CLA, they *are* Committers.  You
>  just don't have them committing code.  This is not new; there are non-coders
>  who are HTTP Server Project Committers.  They commit docs.
>

>         --- Noel

Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer
http://people.apache.org/~lresende
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: Confluence Based Website Access Control

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Noel,
On Mar 24, 2008, at 2:45 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Luciano Resende wrote:
>
>> Based on previous discussion [1], the Tuscany PPMC has voted to grant
>> some some community members, with proper CLA on file, to have write
>> access to the Confluence wiki website. Is this NOT acceptable
>> anymore?
>
> PMC must vote, so let's be clear on this: minimum of 3 binding
> votes, like
> everything else.  But with the vote AND the CLA, they *are*
> Committers.  You
> just don't have them committing code.  This is not new; there are
> non-coders
> who are HTTP Server Project Committers.  They commit docs.

Just so I'm clear, you are proposing that the responsible PMC *must*
hold a *Confluence web site write access* vote for any CLA-holding
Confluence user before granting them access to the Confluence site?

This is *not* documented anywhere I'm aware of. And I believe that it
should be.

Craig

> 	--- Noel

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

RE: Confluence Based Website Access Control

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> > The policy on wikis is ASF-wide. I don't believe any separate Incubator
> > policy is required.

> However, incubator is special in this regard. Adding committers and
> PPMC members needs to go through the IPMC.

How does that make the Incubator special?  If you stop typing IPMC, and call
it what it is: *the* PMC, you remove the "specialness."  The Incubator is
like other projects: *the* PMC makes the decisions, as documented in the ASF
Bylaws.  The PPMC is the "special" thing, but has no standing outside of the
Incubator, and requires *the* PMC to "ratify" (loosely speaking) whatever it
does.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 3/24/08, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com>
>  wrote:
>  > IIRC, write access to wiki pages, distinct from write access to an svn
>  > repository, is not currently covered in the Incubator policy or guides.
> The policy on wikis is ASF-wide. I don't believe any separate Incubator
>  policy is required.

However, incubator is special in this regard. Adding committers and
PPMC members needs to go through the IPMC. In my opinion, this also
holds for website write access.

Martijn

Apache Wicket 1.3.2 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.2

RE: Confluence Based Website Access Control

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Martin Cooper wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
> > IIRC, write access to wiki pages, distinct from write access to an svn
> > repository, is not currently covered in the Incubator policy or guides.

> The policy on wikis is ASF-wide. I don't believe any separate Incubator
> policy is required.

+1

I was simply posting a reminder of what that policy is, based on an incident
elsewhere.

> Basically, it comes down to this:
> Q: Is the wiki going to be used for generating a web site?
> A: Yes --> A CLA must be on file for each person who has write access to
the
>    wiki space.
>    No --> There are no restrictions on who can register and edit pages in
>    that space.

Although the PMC must oversee both, and certainly deal with WikiSpam on the
latter.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> IIRC, write access to wiki pages, distinct from write access to an svn
> repository, is not currently covered in the Incubator policy or guides.

The policy on wikis is ASF-wide. I don't believe any separate Incubator
policy is required. Basically, it comes down to this:

Q: Is the wiki going to be used for generating a web site?

A: Yes --> A CLA must be on file for each person who has write access to the

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Craig Russell wrote:
> we close that particular documentation loophole and have everyone
> understand the "official project assets" rule.

I don't disagree.  And the documentation ought to speak as much to purpose
and intent as technique.  When we focus on technique, as technology
changes, intent may be violated because the technology no longer matches
the specific process described.

> Just so I'm clear, you are proposing that the responsible PMC *must*
> hold a *Confluence web site write access* vote for any CLA-holding
> Confluence user before granting them access to the Confluence site?

Just as we don't open up documentation trees in source control to the
general public, when Confluence is used as the editor for the project's
site, then the same asset management that applies to assets in source
control applies to Confluence.  The people committing documentation for
the project are no different from folks committing documentation to source
control in projects that have not adopted Confluence as their editor.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Mar 24, 2008, at 4:45 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Craig Russell wrote:
>
>> IIRC, write access to wiki pages, distinct from write access to an
>> svn
>> repository, is not currently covered in the Incubator policy or
>> guides.
>
> It is a corner case because of technology, not intent.  The
> Confluence-backed web sites are outside of the technology assumptions
> (commit web site to SVN, update server from SVN), but not the intent.
> When Confluence is used to maintain the project's website, the same
> rules
> apply as for other official project assets.

I'm as familiar as most with the policies and guides in the Incubator,
and I was unaware of the Confluence policy. Hence my suggestion that
we close that particular documentation loophole and have everyone
understand the "official project assets" rule.

The Confluence policy [1] isn't any clearer on your rules either. So I
believe we have some work to do.

Craig

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CWIKI/Index

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.