Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Frédéric Sidler <fr...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/26 08:44:13 UTC

automatic load of instances

I'm using amazon EC2 for hosting and would like to stress test my web
app to see if new instances are load automatically in case of heavy
load.

Is there a best practice to achieve that. My application check the
load based on a average of 15 minutes to see if it needs to load new
instances and stop unused ones.

What would be the best way to do that with Jmeter ?
Is Jmeter the best way to test that ?

Re: automatic load of instances

Posted by Frédéric Sidler <fr...@gmail.com>.
And what about the bandwith required, if I want to simulate a lot of
users(100'000 or more) this won't be possible from my work connection to the
data center (the bottleneck will be the bandwith). I need to run jmeter from
inside the datacenter, is that right ?

Re: automatic load of instances

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 26/06/2008, Frédéric Sidler <fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yes my application do support standard browser connections ?
>
>  I just need to simulate a lot of concurrent user coming rapidely to the
>  service and see it new instances are started automatically
>
>  how many concurrent user a single jmeter can handle

Depends on the test plan, but several hundred threads are normally OK.

>  and is there a table of number of jmeter to run in parallel for a certain amount of users

No - see above.

>  I think a best practice should exist based on the bandwith required, the
>  number of jmeter to run in parallel for a number of concurrent users, no ?

Not possible - the maximum number of threads depends a lot on the test plan.

All one can do is experiment to see which works best.

Re: automatic load of instances

Posted by Frédéric Sidler <fr...@gmail.com>.
yes my application do support standard browser connections ?

I just need to simulate a lot of concurrent user coming rapidely to the
service and see it new instances are started automatically

how many concurrent user a single jmeter can handle and is there a table of

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 26/06/2008, Frédéric Sidler <fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using amazon EC2 for hosting and would like to stress test my web
>  app to see if new instances are load automatically in case of heavy
>  load.
>
>  Is there a best practice to achieve that. My application check the
>  load based on a average of 15 minutes to see if it needs to load new
>  instances and stop unused ones.
>
>  What would be the best way to do that with Jmeter ?

Does your application accept standard browser connections?

If so, then create a test plan that uses the application, and set the
loop count so that it runs for sufficiently long.

Adjust the number of threads to change the load.

Or you can use the Constant Throughput Timer and adjust the load, for
example by reading the value from a file or function.

Or in conjunction with BeanShell:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/best-practices.html#beanshell_server