Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1996/02/29 06:36:18 UTC

Re: Apache 1.1 slowness (with fix)

> My system is a SPARCclassic running Solaris 2.5, with an unloaded 10BaseT
> ethernet.
>
> Without the patch, the response time for a request for a tiny file (6 bytes)
> was ~60ms.
> With the patch, it is 29ms.

Approximately 30ms just for a TCP flush?  That sucks.  I wonder if this
is just a Solaris bug.  Does anyone know what the cost of a socket flush
is on other platforms?

.....Roy

Re: Apache 1.1 slowness (with fix)

Posted by Cliff Skolnick <cl...@organic.com>.
On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> > My system is a SPARCclassic running Solaris 2.5, with an unloaded 10BaseT
> > ethernet.
> >
> > Without the patch, the response time for a request for a tiny file (6 bytes)
> > was ~60ms.
> > With the patch, it is 29ms.
>
> Approximately 30ms just for a TCP flush?  That sucks.  I wonder if this
> is just a Solaris bug.  Does anyone know what the cost of a socket flush
> is on other platforms?

Until sockets get back into the kernel, sometimes things may take a while.
I would be surprised to find many OS that had it much below 10ms though.

Cliff

--
Cliff Skolnick                                      cliff@organic.com

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759