Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> on 2007/10/12 21:17:31 UTC

Re: [HttpClient] multipart (was: NTLM support in HttpClient 4.0)

>> Apart from NTLM auth, we are also missing the
>> multipart entity functionality. I was thinking
>> about a wrapper in the contrib code that adapts
>> the 4.0 entity interface to 3.1 implementations.
>> The Slide client would have been a reason to port
>> the multipart entity, but those ideas are not going
>> to materialize anytime soon.
>
> My Evil(tm) plan is to try to contribute our multipart code to the
> mime4j project [1] provided they are willing to accept it and use their
> library as an optional dependency. As far as I am concerned it is of a
> rather low priority, though.

I agree on the priority. We've already tried to move
the multipart code to commons-codec, where nobody
had an interest. Maybe things will be different this
time.
However, if we extend our activities to WebDAV at some
point in time, we'll probably find it convenient to have
the required multipart support under our control. For
the moment, my only concern is whether we'll have the
functionality of 3.1 covered in 4.0, so we can drop
the (official) support for 3.1 eventually.

cheers,
  Roland