Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Bibs L <bi...@yahoo.com> on 2007/04/26 01:01:15 UTC

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError - IOUtils.copy - When file size larger than 7 MB

  Hi,
  I am stuck with a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError when I try to copy a file of about 7 MB from a window server. I am using the org.apache.commons.io.IOUtils,
  IOUtils.copy(fileIn, response.getOutputStream()) with Survlet response to get the download diaglog to pop up.

  This is working fine when I run it locally - (download file larger than 7MB), but when I deploy the code to Shaed Environment- (download the SAME file larger than 7MB), it is throwing java.lang.OutOfMemoryError Exception. And evertime it throw the OutOfMemoryError, it creates a heapdump<dateTimestamp>.phd file and a javacore<dateTimeStamp> File on the shared environemnt's profile location.

  Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this issue?

  The only thing I could think of is that the memory is low on the server, do we need to increase the JVM heap? What's the down side to that?
  Is it something I am doing wring in my Code below? I could download file size less than 7MB.

  A few notes about our shared envirnment:
  - We are running WebSphere 6.0 on Window server
  - It is a Virtual Machine
  - 4 GBs on server, but is split to 4 server instance, so we have about 1 GB
  - The code below is executed on WebSphere, but the file that need to be downloaded is on a different window server - shared server - "//serverName/somedir/file.doc"

  I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  Here's my code:

  FileInputStream fileIn = null;
  File file = null;
  URL url = null;
  URLConnection urlConn = null;
  InputStream in = null;
  PrintWriter pw = null;
  try{
  file = new File("\\serverPath\download\documents\test.doc");

  if(file.exists() == true){
  LOG.debug("file exists...");

  //generate URL for file
  url = file.toURL();
  urlConn = url.openConnection();
  in = url.openStream();

  fileIn = new FileInputStream(file);

  response.setContentType(urlConn.getContentType());
  response.setHeader("Content-Disposition","inline; filename=\"" + file.getName() + "\"");

  LOG.debug("urlConn.getContentType() = " + urlConn.getContentType());

  long startTime = System.currentTimeMillis();

  IOUtils.copy(fileIn, response.getOutputStream());
  response.setStatus(response.SC_OK);
  response.flushBuffer();

  LOG.debug("Total Time Taken to download: "+(System.currentTimeMillis() - startTime) + " ms"); renderFileFlag = true;

  }else{
  LOG.debug("file not found...");
  }
  } catch (FileNotFoundExceptione) {
  LOG.error("FileNotFoundExceptione: download - " + e.getMessage(), e);

  } catch (IOExceptione) {
  LOG.error("IOException: download - " + e.getMessage(), e);

  } catch (Exception e) {
  LOG.error("Exception : download - " + e.getMessage(), e);

  } finally {
  if (facesContext != null) facesContext = null;
  if (fileIn != null) fileIn.close();
  if (file != null) file = null;
  if (url != null) url = null;
  if (urlConn != null) urlConn = null;
  if (in != null) in.close();
  if (pw != null) pw.close();
  }

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Posted by Bibs L <bi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,
I am stuck with a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError when I try to copy a file of about 7 MB from a window server. I am using the org.apache.commons.io.IOUtils,
IOUtils.copy(fileIn, response.getOutputStream()) with Survlet response to get the download diaglog to pop up.

This is working fine when I run it locally - (download file larger than 7MB), but when I deploy the code to Shaed Environment- (download the SAME file larger than 7MB), it is throwing java.lang.OutOfMemoryError Exception. And evertime it throw the OutOfMemoryError, it creates a heapdump.phd file and a javacore File on the shared environemnt's profile location.