Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ha...@ooo.lanl.gov> on 1995/03/23 21:59:24 UTC

last-modified is broken

> Heh,
>
> > a)	The log file's broke, the .gif files aren't being resent.
> > b)	The log files are not broken and the server really is sending all
> > 	that data again.
>
> ok, I'll admit it, there's another option:
>
> c)	1.3R's broken and not sending .gif images when the browser requests
> 	a [reload].  My excuse is that's it's been a long day, and my blood
> 	sugar is a bit low right now.

d) you were right the first time.

I think Roy put forward a change to the date/time format in B35.
This must be the cause - now what's to blame ?
I'm testing it with Netscape - that could be the problem, I'm
not 100% sure, but I think Netscape is barfing on the Last-mod
time stamp, and is not subsequently sending the "if-modified-since"
header.

The problem can be seen at

   http://ooo.lanl.gov/try.html

which returns a Last-modified, which Netscape doesn't then use
for if-modified-since

It's also evident from the output of this page that the time format
fix that Roy posted, isn't active throughout the code, e.g. my
LAST_MODIFIED env var holds "Thursday, 23-Mar-95 13:49:35 MST", whereas
Apache sends back "Last-modified: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 20:49:35 GMT"

something's up.