Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Kaalu Singh <ka...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/22 23:52:01 UTC

Question about Flume

Hi,

I have the following use case:

I have data files getting generated frequently on a certain machine, X. The
only way I can bring them into my Hadoop cluster  is by SFTPing at certain
intervals of time and getting them and landing them in HDFS.

I am new to Hadoop and to Flume. I read up about Flume and it seems like
this framework is appropriate for something like this although I did not
see an available 'source' that can do exactly what I am looking for.
Unavailability of a 'source' plugin is not a deal breaker for me as I can
write one but first I want to make sure this is the right way to go. So, my
questions are:

1. What are the pros/cons of using Flume for this use case?
2. Does anybody know of a source plugin that does what I am looking for?
3. Does anybody think I should not use Flume and instead write my own
application to achieve this use case?

Thanks
KS

Re: Question about Flume

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.
You could also consider using WebHDFS instead of sftp / flume. WebHDFS is a
REST API which will allow you to copy data directly into HDFS.

Regards,
Olivier

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Question about Flume

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Question about Flume

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Question about Flume

Posted by Olivier Renault <or...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Question about Flume

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kaalu Singh,

Flume is best mach for your requirement. First define the storage structure
of data in HDFS and how you are going process the stored data in HDFS. Data
is very large size flume supports multiple-hop flow, filtering and
aggregation. I think no source plugin required, a command or a script or a
program which converts you data in stream bytes work with flume.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 6:31 AM, Dhaval Shah <pr...@yahoo.co.in>wrote:

> Fair enough. I just wanted to point out that doing it via a script is
> going to be a million times faster to implement compared to something like
> Flume (and arguably more reliable too with no maintenance overhead). Don't
> get me wrong, we use Flume for our data collection as well but our use case
> is real time/online data collection and Flume does the job well. So nothing
> against Flume per se. I was just thinking - if a script becomes a pain down
> the road how much throw away effort are we talking about here, a few
> minutes to a few hours at max vs what happens if Flume becomes a pain, a
> few days to a few weeks of throw away work.
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android<https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android>
>
>  ------------------------------

...Sudhakara.st

Re: Question about Flume

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kaalu Singh,

Flume is best mach for your requirement. First define the storage structure
of data in HDFS and how you are going process the stored data in HDFS. Data
is very large size flume supports multiple-hop flow, filtering and
aggregation. I think no source plugin required, a command or a script or a
program which converts you data in stream bytes work with flume.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 6:31 AM, Dhaval Shah <pr...@yahoo.co.in>wrote:

> Fair enough. I just wanted to point out that doing it via a script is
> going to be a million times faster to implement compared to something like
> Flume (and arguably more reliable too with no maintenance overhead). Don't
> get me wrong, we use Flume for our data collection as well but our use case
> is real time/online data collection and Flume does the job well. So nothing
> against Flume per se. I was just thinking - if a script becomes a pain down
> the road how much throw away effort are we talking about here, a few
> minutes to a few hours at max vs what happens if Flume becomes a pain, a
> few days to a few weeks of throw away work.
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android<https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android>
>
>  ------------------------------

...Sudhakara.st

Re: Question about Flume

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kaalu Singh,

Flume is best mach for your requirement. First define the storage structure
of data in HDFS and how you are going process the stored data in HDFS. Data
is very large size flume supports multiple-hop flow, filtering and
aggregation. I think no source plugin required, a command or a script or a
program which converts you data in stream bytes work with flume.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 6:31 AM, Dhaval Shah <pr...@yahoo.co.in>wrote:

> Fair enough. I just wanted to point out that doing it via a script is
> going to be a million times faster to implement compared to something like
> Flume (and arguably more reliable too with no maintenance overhead). Don't
> get me wrong, we use Flume for our data collection as well but our use case
> is real time/online data collection and Flume does the job well. So nothing
> against Flume per se. I was just thinking - if a script becomes a pain down
> the road how much throw away effort are we talking about here, a few
> minutes to a few hours at max vs what happens if Flume becomes a pain, a
> few days to a few weeks of throw away work.
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android<https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android>
>
>  ------------------------------

...Sudhakara.st

Re: Question about Flume

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kaalu Singh,

Flume is best mach for your requirement. First define the storage structure
of data in HDFS and how you are going process the stored data in HDFS. Data
is very large size flume supports multiple-hop flow, filtering and
aggregation. I think no source plugin required, a command or a script or a
program which converts you data in stream bytes work with flume.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 6:31 AM, Dhaval Shah <pr...@yahoo.co.in>wrote:

> Fair enough. I just wanted to point out that doing it via a script is
> going to be a million times faster to implement compared to something like
> Flume (and arguably more reliable too with no maintenance overhead). Don't
> get me wrong, we use Flume for our data collection as well but our use case
> is real time/online data collection and Flume does the job well. So nothing
> against Flume per se. I was just thinking - if a script becomes a pain down
> the road how much throw away effort are we talking about here, a few
> minutes to a few hours at max vs what happens if Flume becomes a pain, a
> few days to a few weeks of throw away work.
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android<https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android>
>
>  ------------------------------

...Sudhakara.st

Re: Question about Flume