Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com> on 2016/01/23 00:55:53 UTC

schema.org metadata

@Stian, when you get a chance, could you give me an example of a webpage
you have already tagged with the schema.org metadata so I can see what it
looks like?

Thanks,

Gale

Re: schema.org metadata

Posted by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.
So I can see how you chose to tag it.

Re: schema.org metadata

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
So I think it's already inserted automatically metadata.

Do View Source on say http://taverna.incubator.apache.org/community/lists

it includes:

 <!-- generic JSON-LD for this page -->
 <script type="application/ld+json">
{
"@context" : "http://schema.org",
"@type" : ["CreativeWork"],
"@id": "",
"name" : "Mailing lists",
"publisher" : {
"@type" : "Organization",
"url" : "http://www.apache.org/",
"name" : "The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)"
},
"license": {
"@type": "CreativeWork",
"@id": "http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0",
"url": "http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0",
"name": "Apache License, Version 2.0"
}
}

This is made by templates/default_head.html
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-site/blob/trunk/templates/default_head.html#L28
(you might need to go one folder up from Content)

So you can customize it for a particular page by adding a "jsonld"
header - I think the only page that has that is index:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apache/incubator-taverna-site/trunk/content/index.md

but I guess the particular tool download pages like at least
http://taverna.incubator.apache.org/download/language/  could have
more specific download details like version number.

I believe this corresponds to what I could do with
https://www.google.com/webmasters/markup-helper/ when selecting
JSON-LD as output - but I have not been able to verify if Google is
able to pick it up or not - it might be worth checking this before
adding any additional metadata - perhaps we need to be using
Microformat inline in the HTML instead of JSON-LD?

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718