Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2006/02/28 10:08:27 UTC

[RT] Lenya deployment model

Hi Lenya devs,

the recent discussions about modules and Java, placing content in
arbitrary paths, and publication templating could lead to reconsidering
the whole Lenya deployment model.

The following requirements seem to emerge:

1. Modules can provide Java code, declare components, ...
2. Modules can depend on other modules.
3. Publications can be added (instantiated) during run-time.

At the moment, we allow publications to provide Java code and declare
components as well. This requires them to be deployed during compile
time. To avoid a conflict with point (3), we have to differentiate between

a) "base" publications - deployed on compile-time
b) publication instances - deployed on run-time

----

To overcome this situation, we could disallow compile-time artifacts
in publications.

 From an implementation point of view, this could easily achieved by
outsourcing Java code, libraries, components etc. to modules and just
leaving sitemaps, XSLTs, etc. in the publication. You would register your
modules and build the Lenya web application first. Then you could add
arbitrary publications during run-time, preferrably only by registering
them (no deployment required, "copyless" as Thorsten calls it).

IMO this would clarify the deployment a lot.

----

Actually I'd even get rid of the Lenya "core" and just provide a
set of modules, the very heart of which would be the repository module.

Attached you find a simplified diagram of this deployment model.

WDYT?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann