Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/09 12:44:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] Improve Tutorials section of documentation

Hi everyone,

I'd like to discuss a proposal to improve the tutorials / quickstart guides
of Flink's documentation.
I think the current tutorials have a few issues that should be fix in order
to help our (future) users getting started with Flink.

I propose to add a single "Tutorials" section to the documentation where
users find step-by-step guides. The tutorials section help users with
different goals:

  * Get a quick idea of the overall system
  * Implement a DataStream/DataSet/Table API/SQL job
  * Set up Flink on a local machine (or run a Docker container)

For some of these goals, we do not offer tutorials yet. Our existing
tutorials are mixed with instructions for how to setup an environment to
develop Flink itself ("IDE setup", "Building Flink from Source"), and
reference information that is required to implement applications
("Configuring Dependencies, Connectors, Libraries", Project Templates
Java/Scala).

As a first step, I would like to reorganize this content of the
"Quickstart", "Examples", and "Project Setup" sections of the documentation
depending on the goals of the users (getting started, reference lookup,
developing Flink). So, this would be mostly moving content around.

In a second step, I would improve existing tutorials (Implementing
DataStream applications, Local Setup) and add missing tutorials (Local
Docker setup, Implementing DataSet / Table API / SQL applications, etc.).

What do you think?

Cheers, Fabian

Re: [DISCUSS] Improve Tutorials section of documentation

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

I've created PR #6565 [1] with the proposed changes.

The PR restructures the docs a bit and mostly moves pages around.
Only deprecated content is removed.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Fabian

[1] https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/6565

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.
I've had a look at the structure that was derived from my initial message
and adjusted it to my current plans (see below).

The main ideas are:
* add a new Tutorials section and move all existing tutorials there and
also add new ones.
* move the "Quickstart" section to "Tutorials".
* remove the "Project Setup" section and move the pages to other sections
(some pages will be split up or adjusted).
* I'm undecided about the "Examples" section but might remove it as well.

Cheers, Fabian

----

> HOME

- Concepts
  - ...

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by 陈梓立 <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Fabian,

+1 for improve tutorials stuff. It's a nice idea that distinguish users by
their goals.
One thing I suggest is that, we could list out the new content designed,
which would make the discuss more clear.

FYI, the current struct is: (from where I stand)

```
> HOME

- Concepts
  - Programming Model