Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com> on 2003/11/12 03:55:44 UTC

VOTE: WS-Fx and Sandesha proposals

Dims asked me to follow-up on the discussion we had ref starting
a new umbrella subproject to host other WS-* implementations. I'd
like to call a vote for creating the WS-Fx project per

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?WebServicesProjectPages/Charter
ForWSFx

as well as for the Sandesha project per

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ReliableMessagingProposal

Dims wants to hold off on the WS-Security stuff until he has more
discussion with RSA Security regarding IP/license issues.

Here's my vote: +1 for both proposals.

Sanjiva.

Re: PMC

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@us.ibm.com>.
Works for me :-).  Thanks Sam

- James M Snell
  jasnell@us.ibm.com
  http://www.ibm.com
  (877) 511-5082 / Office
  930-1979 / Tie Line

Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
11/12/2003 04:34 PM
Please respond to
general@ws.apache.org

general@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: PMC

James M Snell wrote:

> This shouldn't come as much of a surprise, but I wanted to officially
> delist myself as a member of the Web Services PMC.  I have not been able

> to devote any time to the PMC or any of the discussions and do not
forsee
> any change in the near or distant future.

The way other PMCs have handled similar situations is to list the PMC
member as being emeritus - a status that can revert back to full PMC
membership at any time upon request.

- Sam Ruby

Re: PMC

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

PMC

Re: VOTE: WS-Fx and Sandesha proposals

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
(just my tuppenuth but) probably wouldn't hurt to check with licensing
at apache.

- robert

Re: WS-RM open source impl and NDA [Re: VOTE: WS-Fx and Sandesha proposals]

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
AFAIK there was no NDA - there was a (standard IBM/MSFT) feedback
agreement which grants certain prividges to the authors w.r.t.
feedback given by others.

I believe the results were / will be published.

IBM/MSFT have committed to publishing these RF, but you are correct
that that's not granted yet. I personally don't think we need to
push on this, but if necessary I'm certain I can get the appropriate
RF license issued. I think we're going overboard about it but then
I'm no lawyer.

I'm still curious to see Glen's answer as an implementor of WS-RM.
(Or anyone else who has - Dims, did u guys do one too?)

Sanjiva.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gd...@sonicsoftware.com>.
Indeed, we signed the agreement but didn't get any other kind of license.  I
really doubt there would be any problem putting this up, but if there was
(i.e. if IBM or Microsoft asked us to take it down due to IP issues) the
social/political backlash would be so huge that it would almost be worth it
just for the show. :)

--Glen

> [...]
> >
> > *_ _*
> >
> > *_WS-Addressing                     Authors: BEA, IBM, Microsoft_*
> >
> > *_ _*
> >
> > *_ _*
> >
> > *_ _*
> >
> > ___________________________
> >
> > Name
> >
> > ___________________________
> >
> > Title
> >
> > ___________________________
> >
> > Company
> >
> > ___________________________      ___________________________
> >
> > Signature                                                   Date
> >

> > alek
> >
> > >Thanks,
> > >dims

> > >=====
> > >Davanum Srinivas - http://webservices.apache.org/~dims/
> > >

> > --
> > The best way to predict the future is to invent it - Alan Kay

name=WS-specworkshopsRMworkshopagreement92303.doc

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.

=====

Re: VOTE: WS-Fx and Sandesha proposals

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

>Dims asked me to follow-up on the discussion we had ref starting
>a new umbrella subproject to host other WS-* implementations. I'd
>like to call a vote for creating the WS-Fx project per
>
>http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?WebServicesProjectPages/Charter
>ForWSFx
>
>as well as for the Sandesha project per
>
>http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ReliableMessagingProposal
>
>Dims wants to hold off on the WS-Security stuff until he has more
>discussion with RSA Security regarding IP/license issues.
>
>Here's my vote: +1 for both proposals.

+1 in principle.

however how are IP issues resolved for WS-ReliableMessaging from
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-rm/

it is not clear to me if WS-RM can be implemented as open source?

is it safe for Apache to host it considering following warning?

(...)
Copyright© EXCEPT FOR THE COPYRIGHT LICENSE GRANTED ABOVE, THE AUTHORS
DO NOT GRANT, EITHER EXPRESSLY OR IMPLIEDLY, A LICENSE TO ANY
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, INCLUDING PATENTS, THEY OWN OR CONTROL.

Copyright© THE WS-RELIABLEMESSAGING SPECIFICATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS,"
AND THE AUTHORS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, OR TITLE; THAT THE
CONTENTS OF THE WS-RELIABLEMESSAGINGSPECIFICATION ARE SUITABLE FOR ANY
PURPOSE; NOR THAT THE IMPLEMENTATION OF SUCH CONTENTS WILL NOT INFRINGE
ANY THIRD PARTY PATENTS, COPYRIGHTS, TRADEMARKS OR OTHER RIGHTS.

Copyright© THE AUTHORS WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING
TO ANY USE OR DISTRIBUTION OF THE WS-RELIABLEMESSAGING SPECIFICATION.

Copyright© The WS-ReliableMessaging Specification may change before
final release and you are cautioned against relying on the content of
this specification.

Copyright© The name and trademarks of the Authors may NOT be used in any
manner, including advertising or publicity pertaining to the
Specification or its contents without specific, written prior
permission. Title to copyright in the WS-ReliableMessaging Specification
will at all times remain with the Authors.
(...)

what did i miss?

thanks,

alek

Re: VOTE: WS-Fx and Sandesha proposals

Posted by Glen Daniels <gd...@sonicsoftware.com>.
Hi Daniel!

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?WebServicesProjectPages/CharterForWSFx

> Assuming that this proposal applies to web services in the generic sense,
how
> does this differ from the *-commons repositories used by other top level
> projects (the proposal mentions a ws-fx-sandbox)?  If it doesn't, how
about
> naming it consistently?  If it is specific to Axis or web services in the
> "marketing" sense, can we distinguish this in the project name, and can
you
> make this more prominent in the proposal?

There's a somewhat interesting taxonomy here.  There is certainly a call for
a ws-commons, I think.  I would imagine that in there there would be things
like JaxMe, perhaps a slicker version of tcpmon which is more SOAP aware,
etc...  Then there is the "extensions" space.  This is for stuff that "bolts
on" to Axis, like reliability/security/etc extensions implemented with
Handlers and ideally sharing an extensibility architecture as outlined in
the Wiki.  While you certainly could put all these in "ws-commons" as well,
I would think having a well-delineated area for extensions like this might
be a good thing...

--Glen

Re: VOTE: WS-Fx and Sandesha proposals

Posted by Glen Daniels <gd...@sonicsoftware.com>.
Hi Daniel!

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Daniel,

> I'm not especially comfortable with the level of diversity in the initial
> committer lists, and am currently -0 on both projects.

I assume that this is related to the recent discussion of the
composition of the Axis/C++ team. Would it help if I change my
email address to @watson.ibm.com? Then there will be committers
from Sonic, IBM, Virtusa and University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.

Is that sufficiently diverse?

Glen/Dug, based on what happened at the RM interop meeting, do you
know of other companies who may be interested in seeing an RM impl
at Apache?

Sanjiva.

Re: VOTE: WS-Fx and Sandesha proposals

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.