Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Fabian Christ <fc...@gmx.de> on 2007/02/05 16:45:48 UTC

Re: [m2] Adding further dependency goals

Hi,

really great ideas here and I'm looking forward for these new goals. I just
wrote my own deptree-plugin to generate a tree graph with all project
dependencies. When starting this work I was also looking for the right place to
implement such a feature but didn't found the right place - now I know ;-) I
also had problems to extract the right information and with the different scopes
but I hope the new goals will help.

My plugin generates a *.dot [1] file for all dependencies and uses the DOT tool
from [2] to generate a SVG image from it. Looks really cool! By using SVG you
can link subgraphs to other SVG images. This enables you to navigate through a
deptree like clicking through a web site ;-) I tried to attach a sample but it
was to large.

[1] http://www.graphviz.org/cgi-bin/man?dot
[2] http://www.graphviz.org/

- Fabian

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.
I've got a similar thing going for MPIR (maven-project-info-reports)
using the plexus-graph(ing) libs that Jason Van Zyl is working on for
maven 2.1.

BTW, the plexus-graph(ing) project has support for graphviz as a
visualizer currently, and a prefuse based one in the works (based on
carlos's grafo work).

I'm working on adding several graphs.

a) Single Project Dependencies - True / Complete / Simple View
b) Single Project Dependencies - True / Grouped / Clustered by GroupID
c) Single Project Dependencies - True / Transitive Reduced
d) Single Project Dependencies - Resolved
e) Multi Module - True / Only Modules / Simple View
f) Multi Module - True / Only Modules / Transitive Reduced
g) Multi Module - True / Complete / With Dependencies
i) Multi Module - True / Complete / With Dependencies / Transitive Reduced
j) Multi Module - True / Complete / With Dependencies / Grouped /
Clustered by GroupID
k) Multi Module - Resolved / With Dependencies

Examples:
[1] http://joakim.erdfelt.com/maven/graph-p-sec.png - example of (e) above
[2] http://joakim.erdfelt.com/maven/graph-p-sec-simplified.png - example
of (f) above.