Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Mark Kaye <ma...@mkaye.co.uk> on 2002/03/13 16:42:43 UTC

Newbie: Architecture question

I am looking at using Turbine as the framework for my application.  We
already have designed a database schema for the application which
incorporates user authentication data, etc.  We have the concept of an
individualID which is a primary key on the core user table (individuals)
and a foreign key on several related tables (addresses, logins,
individual_type), etc.  Now I come to look at Turbine I see it has its
own user-auth mechanism.

Will it be easy for me to integrate these or should I build my own auth
mechanism into the Turbine framework from scratch?  Sorry if this sounds
a simple question - I'm just getting into Turbine.  Any advice you can
give would be much appreciated.

Best,

DB Pooling and Processes

Posted by Bob Swerdlow <rs...@transpose.com>.
Hi, y'all -

Is there documentation somewhere about how to set up Oracle with Turbine DB
Pooling?

We ran into a problem recently where we were getting "cannot get connection"
errors.  I found that our TurbineProperties.Resources had:

    # The number of database connections to cache per ConnectionPool
    # instance (specified per database).
    database.default.maxConnections=3

Since the failure happend when our code was setting up 4 connections, I knew
I had to change this.  After a bit of web-snooping, I changed it to 100.

Now we are getting this error:
    ORA-00020: maximum number of processes (50) exceeded

This actually happened after reloading the project a few times.

So my questions are:
  1. What is an appropriate value for database.default.maxConnections?  This
will be a public web site with many concurrent users retrieving pages that
will access the database
  2. Do I need to coordinate the number of connections with the number of
Oracle processes?  How do I control this in Oracle?
  3. Should reloading the project release all of the connections?  It does
not seem to have done so, however, when I restarted Tomcat, those processes
seemed to go away.
  4. What else should I worry about?

Thanks for your help!

Bob Swerdlow