Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by clemensx <cl...@sap.com> on 2018/09/28 08:55:17 UTC

jdbc connection pool size 2

Hi,

we use TomEE 7.0.4 productively in a Cloud Foundry environment. JDBC
connections are only used via JPA (eclipselink). Usually after one day or so
uptime we see these errors:

org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.PoolExhaustedException: [http-nio-8080-exec-10]
Timeout: Pool empty. Unable to fetch a connection in 30 seconds, none
available[size:2; busy:2; idle:0; lastwait:30000].",

We did not specify pool size anywhere and I believe standard pool size is
more like 100 than 2. What could cause this extremely small pool size? Is
this somehow negotiated with the JDBC driver and/or DBMS? We use postgresql
9.4.1212 jdbc driver for a postgresql server on version 9.6.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Re: jdbc connection pool size 2

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
2 is not our default, it should be inherited from the pool defaults

In cloudfoundry or any environment it is quite easy to change the default
cause you can always use resources.xml to force the value if you want (it
supports placeholders on the env variable if needed to get back the
url/user/password)

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
I'd just add to Jon's answer that setting a maxWait to 0 will help you to
identify these issues, otherwise it can hides some undersizing problem
during the tuning phase.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by clemensx <cl...@sap.com>.
We have very long background processes working intensively with the DB. So I
would guess that at least one connection is almost always in use. Two just
is too few connections. Even if a much larger pool would maybe not really
solve the problem, it would at least make it much less severe.

If we last around a day currently with two connections, my guess would be to

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Yes, although it looks like you're also waiting 30 seconds to get a
connection, which suggests maybe those 2 connections aren't coming back to
the pool as well. Are you able to get a thread dump of the process?

Jon

Posted by clemensx <cl...@sap.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

are you able to use jmx to dump the datasource mbeans to see the actual
config? (ensure to remove your credentials before sharing this ;)).

Romain Manni-Bucau