Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2014/09/04 11:35:58 UTC

Re: http://ofbiz.apache.org/docs

I will have a look, hopefully "soon"...

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 04/09/2014 20:09, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
> Sharan, as a committer, you have write access to these documents, they are at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/site/docs, the whole site is at
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/site
> Because of the possible importance of these documents (even if old), I began to review them in detail by section. They should be marked as Obsolete
> in most case I guess, I will confirm below...
>
> Here is my 1st attempt:
> config_deploy_maint.html, this document is based on OFBiz 3.0!
>     Introduction
>     Building Blocks
>         Nothing, important can be discarded
>     Setting Up a Database
>         Obsolete, can be discarded
>     Downloading and Installing Java - java.sun.com
>         Obsolete, can be discarded
>     OFBiz
>      Getting OFBiz
>         Obsolete, we have better documents, can be discarded
>      Deploying & Configuring OFBiz
>         jndiservers.xml
>             Obsolete, we have better documents, can be discarded
>         entityengine.xml
>             Check the content, maybe not all is covered elsewhere (setup doc)
>         Servlet & JSP Container
>             Obsolete, can be discarded
>         Transaction Manager
>             Obsolete, can be discarded
>         Connection Pool
>             Obsolete, can be discarded
>         JMS Configuration
>             N/A, discard
>         URL Settings
>             We have better documents, can be discarded (content to be compared to tech setup maybe)
>         Cache Settings & Analysis
>             We have better documents, can be discarded (content to be compared to tech setup maybe)
>      Keeping Up With OFBiz
> The rest is empty => discard!
>     Restarting versus Run-time Changable
>     The OFBiz WebTools
>     Performance & Reliability
>     eCommerce Specific
>
> As you can see, we can neglect this document, I will do a review of others the same way, but w/o as much comments, see below...
>
> Le 04/09/2014 11:35, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>> I will have a look, hopefully "soon"...
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> Le 25/08/2014 16:26, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
>>> What would be your suggestion about existing documentation that refers to them?
>>> - Should we remove the reference?
> Yes I agree with Arian, better no documentation than a misleading one. People should now that information there are Obsolete.
>>> - Somehow flag the reference as potentially misleading and out of date?
>>> - Create new descriptions that only deal with the part of te reference that pertains to the subject in the referencing document?
>>>
>>> Can someone who knows OfBiz, give an assessment of each of the docs about what are the problems with the HTML docs and what would it take to fix
>>> or replace them with updated content?
>>>
>>> Which ones are worth copying to the wiki?

> [...]
I was wrong on this one, there are still useful information there though it should be reviewed and updated
It's notably used in https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Demo+and+Test+Setup+Guide which I have referenced from
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=44994703 (build link)

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Sharan, as a committer, you have write access to these documents, they are at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/site/docs, the whole site is at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/site
Because of the possible importance of these documents (even if old), I began to review them in detail by section. They should be marked as Obsolete in
most case I guess, I will confirm below...

Here is my 1st attempt:
config_deploy_maint.html, this document is based on OFBiz 3.0!
     Introduction
     Building Blocks
         Nothing, important can be discarded
     Setting Up a Database
         Obsolete, can be discarded
     Downloading and Installing Java - java.sun.com
         Obsolete, can be discarded
     OFBiz
      Getting OFBiz
         Obsolete, we have better documents, can be discarded
      Deploying & Configuring OFBiz
         jndiservers.xml
             Obsolete, we have better documents, can be discarded
         entityengine.xml
             Check the content, maybe not all is covered elsewhere (setup doc)
         Servlet & JSP Container
             Obsolete, can be discarded
         Transaction Manager
             Obsolete, can be discarded
         Connection Pool
             Obsolete, can be discarded
         JMS Configuration
             N/A, discard
         URL Settings
             We have better documents, can be discarded (content to be compared to tech setup maybe)
         Cache Settings & Analysis
             We have better documents, can be discarded (content to be compared to tech setup maybe)
      Keeping Up With OFBiz
The rest is empty => discard!
     Restarting versus Run-time Changable
     The OFBiz WebTools
     Performance & Reliability
     eCommerce Specific

As you can see, we can neglect this document, I will do a review of others the same way, but w/o as much comments, see below...

Le 04/09/2014 11:35, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
> I will have a look, hopefully "soon"...
>
> Jacques
>
> Le 25/08/2014 16:26, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
>> What would be your suggestion about existing documentation that refers to them?
>> - Should we remove the reference?
Yes I agree with Arian, better no documentation than a misleading one. People should now that information there are Obsolete.
>> - Somehow flag the reference as potentially misleading and out of date?
>> - Create new descriptions that only deal with the part of te reference that pertains to the subject in the referencing document?
>>
>> Can someone who knows OfBiz, give an assessment of each of the docs about what are the problems with the HTML docs and what would it take to fix or
>> replace them with updated content?
>>
>> Which ones are worth copying to the wiki?
>>
>> config_deploy_maint.html
To me barked as Obsolete
>> control.html
To me barked as Obsolete
>> core.html
To me barked as Obsolete
>> coreconfig.html
To me barked as Obsolete
>> datafile.html
Not sure we have better information elsewhere in wiki...
>> entity.html
I will review later
>> entityconfig.html
I will review later
>> minilang.html
To me barked as Obsolete, we have up to date documentation in wiki
>> regions.html
To me barked as Obsolete
>> serviceconfig.html
I will review later