Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk> on 2002/11/05 18:18:50 UTC

Sybex Cocoon book

Happily I have received another Cocoon2 book for review on
http://news.DiverseBooks.com

Does anyone have any questions which they want me to discuss in my review?

(We already have a review of the New Riders Cocoon book)

Title: Cocoon 2 Programming
Subtitle: Web Publishing with XML and Java
Author: Bill Brogden
Author: Conrad D'Cruz
Author: Mark Gaither
Publisher: Sybex
Publisher URL: http://www.sybex.com/
ISBN: 0-7821-4131-5
Price: 29.99 UKP
Format: paperback
Topic: non-fiction
Topic: computing
Topic: XML

Openweb Analysts Ltd, London.
Software For Complex Websites http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
Open Source Software Companies please register here
http://www.OWAL.co.uk/oss_support/

RE: Sybex Cocoon book

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@yahoo.com>.
--- William Brogden <wb...@bga.com> wrote:
> > 1) which version of cocoon is the book relevant
> to?
> > 2.0.3 release? any 2.1 dev and if so how outdated
> is
> > it?
> > Of the major topics of the book, how many are now
> in
> > the process of being deprecated?
> > 2) where is the book focused?  static xml files?
> > database?
> > 3) Are any topics covered from an advanced
> > perspective?
> > 4) Of the competing concepts in cocoon, which does
> it
> > advocate?  esql vs. sql transformer for example
> >
> > Geoff
> >

> As one of the authors of the Sybex book, let me say
> that
> due to the pure mechanics of book publishing we had
> stick to the 2.0.2 - 2.0.3 versions.
>
> Trying to be up to date with 2.1 would have been
> futile
> and frustrating to our readers.

I agree - what I was trying to get him to get at was
if you tried 2.1 how bad was the damage, and if not,
was the book written late enough to know about the
final decisions for 2.0.3 release (as at least one
book unfortunately didn't if I'm not mistaken).

Geoff

HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

RE: Sybex Cocoon book

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.

due to the pure mechanics of book publishing we had to
stick to the 2.0.2 - 2.0.3 versions.

Trying to be up to date with 2.1 would have been futile
and frustrating to our readers.

wbrogden@bga.com
Author of Soap Programming with Java - Sybex; ISBN: 0782129285
Coauthor of Cocoon 2 Programming - Sybex; ISBN: 0782141315

Re: Sybex Cocoon book

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@yahoo.com>.