Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Luke Shannon <ls...@hypermedia.com> on 2004/11/30 23:26:20 UTC

[users@httpd] Restaring Apache From A Batch File

Hello;

I need to make some configuration changes and than restart Apache in a
windows environment. Everything is fine until I try and restart:

:: sample from my batch script
cd C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\
Apache.exe --ntservice

It hangs for a few seconds and then tells me:
error (1063) The service process could not connect to the service
controller: Error starting service control dispatcher.

When I went into the control panel this is what the Apache service calls to
restart. Am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks,

Luke

Posted by Gustavo Córdova Avila <gu...@q-voz.com>.
Luke Shannon wrote:

>Hello;
>
>The following addition to my httpd.conf file makes the content of the folder
>only accessable to the 2 IP addresses.
>
><Directory "/usr/apache/apache_1.3.27/htdocs/bolt">
>
>    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>
>    AllowOverride All
>
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from host 10.208.3.117 204.225.84.27
></Directory>
>
>I tried this is windows (no bolt, this time want to look out the whole docs
>folder):
>
><Directory "C:\Program Files\Apache Group/Apache/htdocs/">
>
>    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>
>    AllowOverride All
>
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from host 10.208.3.117 204.225.84.27
></Directory>
>
>In windows people are able to get through reguardless of their IP. Is there
>a difference between windows and linux I should be aware of?
>
>Luke

The problem here is:
    "C:\Program Files\Apache Group/Apache/htdocs/"

Apache is *never* going to locate this directory, because
of your mix of forward- and back-slashes; always use forward
slashes, Apache understands the difference between Posix and
Windows path separators, and makes adjustments.

As for *why* it's never going to work, it's because you're
actually specifying a directory called:

    "C:Program FilesApache Group/Apache/htdocs/"

And, since there's no backslash between C: and Program Files,
it's subject to the "current working dir" active when you ran
the Apache server...

Rather, use:
    "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs/"

HTH
--
Gustavo Córdova Avila <gu...@q-voz.com>
<ma...@q-voz.com>

Re: [users@httpd] Windows vs Linux Differences

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:56:34 -0500, Luke Shannon
<ls...@hypermedia.com> wrote:
> I tried this is windows (no bolt, this time want to look out the whole docs
> folder):
>
> <Directory "C:\Program Files\Apache Group/Apache/htdocs/">

To start, what's with the funky mix of forward and backward slashes?
Use only forward slashes in the apache config file.

If that is not the problem, look for other places in the config file
where your restrictions may be overriden.  (Search for all the Allow
directives in your config.)

Joshua.

[users@httpd] Windows vs Linux Differences

Re: [users@httpd] Restaring Apache From A Batch File

Posted by hunter <th...@gmail.com>.
I do not mean to split hairs but...

net stop apache2
net start apache2

Chris Lewis

Posted by Luke Shannon <ls...@hypermedia.com>.
you are correct. apache -k restart from the apache folder does a restart.

thanks,

luke