Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> on 2008/01/09 17:32:27 UTC

M2.1plan

Hello all, hope you had a good break. :)

We talked about finishing the M2.1 release at the F2F and doing
quaterly releases, so I'm proposing that we aim to get M2.1 out on
Wednesday 2008-04-02, with a code freeze (ie. important bug fixes
only, no new features) on that branch from Friday 2008-02-22 so we
have some time for testing. I'll act as release manager for this now I
(nearly) have the right bits unless there are objections from other
volunteers. ;)

In parallel to this, I'll start doing the merge of M2 with trunk on a
branch (taken from and tracking trunk), I'm currently beating git with
a stick so I can use it's better merge capabilities.

- Aidan
--
aim/y!:aidans42  g:aidan.skinner@gmail.com
http://aidan.skinner.me.uk/

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Jan 9, 2008 5:24 PM, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:

> are you using month day, or day month?

Sorry, those are ISO format dates, year-month-day. :)

- Aidan

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
I believe that those are ISO-8601 dates so in the format YYYY-MM-DD

http://www.iso.org/iso/support/faqs/faqs_widely_used_standards/widely_used_standards_other/date_and_time_format.htm

I would highly recommend anyone writing dates to utilise this format.
The sooner the YY-DD-MM madness ends the better.

Seriously when is 08-04-02?

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Aidan,

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Jan 11, 2008 3:40 PM, Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/01/2008, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Might it make more sense to put M2.1 and M3 out at the same time? That
> > way we can provide
> > best interop between then.
>
> It seems to me - and correct me if I am wrong - that M2.1 is much more
> of a "known quantity" than M3 which implements the 0-10 protocol.
>
> I think it is important to get this "interop release" out as quickly
> as possible so from that perspective it would make sense not to tie it
> to another release.

I don't see much reason to tie the two together, 0-8 and 0-9 are fixed
targets which M3 needs to support as well and it will need to support
them in the form of existing M2 (ie. 0-8) deployments so any fixes
need to be done there.

- Aidan
--
aim/y!:aidans42  g:aidan.skinner@gmail.com
http://aidan.skinner.me.uk/
"It is no weakness for the wisest man to learn when he is wrong." - Sophocles

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 11/01/2008, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Might it make more sense to put M2.1 and M3 out at the same time? That
> way we can provide
> best interop between then.

It seems to me - and correct me if I am wrong - that M2.1 is much more
of a "known quantity" than M3 which implements the 0-10 protocol.

I think it is important to get this "interop release" out as quickly
as possible so from that perspective it would make sense not to tie it
to another release.

If M3 is all done and dusted at the point of the proposed M2.1 code
freeze then fine, but otherwise I would suggest we keep the releases
separate.

RG

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Aidan, yes 6 weeks for hacking and testing seems reasonable.
Doing a release in parallel is fine. But I assume certain fixes in trunk may
need to be done in the branch and most certainly most of the fixes done on
the branch may end up in the trunk.
So we may need to have a good strategy in cordinating all these issues.

Rajith

On Jan 11, 2008 10:15 AM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2008 2:46 PM, Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just to clarify, looking at the dates given for M2.1, it looks like we
> are
> > releasing early April.
> > I thought we agreed to finish M2.1 soon and plan M3 for March time
> frame? Or
> > did I misunderstand the dates?
>
> Nope, that's the plan. It gives us 6 weeks to hack and 6 weeks to
> test, which doesn't seem unreasonable given prior experience. M3 work
> can happen in parallel, as it has traditonally done, as I get the
> merge under way on a seperate branch (taken from trunk and tracking
> changes there and pulling stuff in from M2x).
>
> - Aidan
> --
> aim/y!:aidans42  g:aidan.skinner@gmail.com
> http://aidan.skinner.me.uk/
> "It is no weakness for the wisest man to learn when he is wrong." -
> Sophocles

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
blog: http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Aidan,

On Jan 11, 2008 6:36 AM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2008 1:45 AM, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > back to the release schedule, I think the schedule is fine, can we also
> > set the date for M3 March, week 11 to pick a date. I would expect that
> to be
> >
> > C++ Broker & client 0-10
> > Java Client 0-10 & 0-8/9?
> > Python Client 0-10  (speaks all versions)
> > .NET 0-10   will M2 be 0-8/9 and M2 0-10 only in the client.
> > Ruby 0-10.
>
> I'm not sure I really have a good sense of where the various bits of
> this are, particularly the .Net, Python and Ruby clients. Do you know
> what state they are in (particularly wrt 0-10 support)?
>
> > I believe we would have a Java broker with merged M2.1 and ready for
> > 0-10, but most like not supporting 0-10 fully yet.
>
> I definately can't see us having a full on 0-10 java broker by that point,
> no.
>
> - Aidan
> --
> aim/y!:aidans42  g:aidan.skinner@gmail.com
> http://aidan.skinner.me.uk/
> "It is no weakness for the wisest man to learn when he is wrong." -
> Sophocles

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
blog: http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Aidan,

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
I have updated the JIRAs to reflect the listed IDs.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Arnaud Simon <as...@redhat.com>.
Aidan,

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
missed the 'k' on the 80.. both 80k :-)

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
I am fine getting more things that are in the spec to interop, but I am
against re-inventing stuff taken care of in latter versions of the spec
and investing in stuff like RBAC interop etc between projects is a waste
of time on earlier versions of the spec or classes that have been
removed in 0-10 like access for example as that will just be an exercise
in throw away code. Being able to connect and exchange messages between
impls is good, however this does require other impl's to also fix issues.

In terms of that I think we agree.
Carl.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 10, 2008 6:45 PM, Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 10/01/2008, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Michael Arnoldus wrote:
> > >  From my point of view interop is the highest priority - why would I
> > > choose AMQP if it's not AMQP?
> > >

> > yes, that is the point. but AMQP is still under development so with each
> > release we should be able to get better interop as the specification
> > gets more complete. so 0-10 makes it possible to not have hacks for JMS
> > needed in earlier versions. 0-11 should fill in security etc. So we
> > should get basic interop, but there is not much point in trying to deal
> > with all the gray areas in a previous versions of the spec, but rather
> > go to the latest where the issues have been debated out and specified.
> >
> > thanks for the comments.
> > Carl.
>
> As I see it 0-9 is a suitable starting point for interop. as it has
> all the features required to support JMS.

Not really, selectors are still an issue and there are few other issues as
well.

> As the JMS over AMQP guide hasn't been released there is still issues with
> JMS interop over AMQP
> but that is a different story.

This is scoped for 0-11.

> --
> Martin Ritchie

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
blog: http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
On 10/01/2008, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Michael Arnoldus wrote:
> >  From my point of view interop is the highest priority - why would I
> > choose AMQP if it's not AMQP?
> >

> yes, that is the point. but AMQP is still under development so with each
> release we should be able to get better interop as the specification
> gets more complete. so 0-10 makes it possible to not have hacks for JMS
> needed in earlier versions. 0-11 should fill in security etc. So we
> should get basic interop, but there is not much point in trying to deal
> with all the gray areas in a previous versions of the spec, but rather
> go to the latest where the issues have been debated out and specified.
>
> thanks for the comments.
> Carl.

As I see it 0-9 is a suitable starting point for interop. as it has
all the features required to support JMS. As the JMS over AMQP guide

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Alexis Richardson <al...@cohesiveft.com>.
Rupert

On Jan 11, 2008 3:23 PM, Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I tried to follow these instructions, but they may be a bit dated because
> they are for the M1 client. I could not get the new M2 to interop, but I
> also admit that I did not try very hard. I fixed up the known differences
> (access tickets, strict flag, extra args on consume) but it would not go and
> I gave up there for now.

Could you send us a bit more detail please?  We'll take a look.

alexis

--
Alexis Richardson
+44 20 7617 7339 (UK)

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Alexis Richardson <al...@cohesiveft.com>.
Rajith

--
Alexis Richardson
+44 20 7617 7339 (UK)

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Michael,

Thanks for the feedback.  I have a few questions/comments inline.

On Jan 11, 2008 5:12 AM, Michael Arnoldus <ch...@wiinz.com> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On Jan 10, 2008, at 17:14 , Robert Greig wrote:
> >
> > The only reason for the deviation from the AMQP spec was that the
> > official 0-8 spec had limitations that meant we could not achieve full
> > JMS compliance without some changes. We had other users for whom full
> > JMS compliance was critical.
>
> And I can see why that would make sense from a java perspective.
> However that actively discouraged us in trying out QPID as a broker.

Is this the only issue that prevented you guys from using Qpid?

> >> Also - interesting discussion about performance - I'd be interested
> >> in
> >> better and less biased comparisons, while I'm still aware that msg/
> >> sec
> >> and latency is not the only interesting kind of performance in a
> >> product like this.
> >
> > What are your performance requirements? What client implementations do
> > you need? Are you interested in road testing Qpid? Our recent M2
> > release incorporates a huge number of changes and improvements.
>
> Currently my primary performance requirements are stability, ease of
> installation and use, scalability and support. If you win in those
> areas, I really don't care if I need to buy machines with 4 times as
> many cores to achieve the same performance.

I know you are pressed for time, but if you can elaborate a bit more on
these areas it will help us improve.
What are your thoughts on ease of installation and use?
Dare I ask you about documentation?
Also some feedback on scalability and stability would help us a lot.

> If I have scalability,
> hardware is VERY cheap!!! Using my developers time on stuff that
> doesn't work, are difficult to use or to build are far more expensive.
>
> Thanks for your offer on road testing, which I have to decline. We're
> fairly busy at the moment, and Rabbit actually works for us right now.
> However it is very important for me in my choice of AMQP that several
> implementations do exist - and I do find QPID interesting and will
> definitely try it out in the future.
>
> Michael

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
blog: http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Robert,

You highlight a good point. I think it was mistake for us to deviate from
the spec to support JMS.
However I think we tried to make that configurable via the stritct AMQP
flag. Apparently we seem to have fallen short there.
The other major issue if the access ticket thing, but If I remember Rabbit
had someway of disabling this right?
But as Carl points out do we have time and resources to do this? On other
hand if you think you can do it without much effort then by all means you
can do that for M2.1.

Regards,

Rajith

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
blog: http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Michael Arnoldus <ch...@wiinz.com>.
Hi Robert,

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 10/01/2008, Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> While trying to claim the title of the "fastest AMQP broker in the
> West" may be appealing to our egos; we mustn't lose sight of the fact
> that providing a reliable, well documented, and well supported
> solution at fairly low message volumes is probably higher on most
> peoples wish list.  Certainly none of the deployments of Qpid that I
> have been involved in have stretched in any way its performance.

I think it is true that people don't generally need what someone we
know calls "extreme performance" but I think message brokers are a bit
like washing machines. People *say* they want outstanding performance
and scalability even if in reality when they get it home they just use
the same two programmes all the time.

RG

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 10, 2008 11:19 AM, Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> While trying to claim the title of the "fastest AMQP broker in the
> West" may be appealing to our egos; we mustn't lose sight of the fact
> that providing a reliable, well documented, and well supported
> solution at fairly low message volumes is probably higher on most
> peoples wish list.  Certainly none of the deployments of Qpid that I
> have been involved in have stretched in any way its performance.
>
> Scalability, and resiliance under load, however, are things that we
> should definitely look at,

That is a very good point. No point having a broker that spews millions of
msg per sec and then die in a couple of hours or is unpredictable under
different situations.
In a production environment, what customers are looking is for "predictable
behaviour", not nessacerily the fastest.
If somebody throws our broker into production and then have to cross their
fingers then we will soon be forgotten.
We need to ensure that our broker has consistent behaviour under increased
loads, scalable and reliable.

Rajith

> Rob
>
> On 10/01/2008, Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > > I agree. I am a an AMQP user currently using Rabbit, since the thing
> > > just works, it complies with AMPQ 0.8 and we get very nice support.
> > >  From my point of view interop is the highest priority - why would I
> > > choose AMQP if it's not AMQP?
> >
> > The only reason for the deviation from the AMQP spec was that the
> > official 0-8 spec had limitations that meant we could not achieve full
> > JMS compliance without some changes. We had other users for whom full
> > JMS compliance was critical.
> >
> > > Also - interesting discussion about performance - I'd be interested in
> > > better and less biased comparisons, while I'm still aware that msg/sec
> > > and latency is not the only interesting kind of performance in a
> > > product like this.
> >
> > What are your performance requirements? What client implementations do
> > you need? Are you interested in road testing Qpid? Our recent M2
> > release incorporates a huge number of changes and improvements.
> >
> > RG

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
blog: http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Michael Arnoldus <ch...@wiinz.com>.
I agree. I am a an AMQP user currently using Rabbit, since the thing
just works, it complies with AMPQ 0.8 and we get very nice support.
 From my point of view interop is the highest priority - why would I
choose AMQP if it's not AMQP?

Also - interesting discussion about performance - I'd be interested in
better and less biased comparisons, while I'm still aware that msg/sec
and latency is not the only interesting kind of performance in a
product like this.

Keep the good work going :-)

Kind regards,

Michael Aroldus

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.
Yes, I wanted to compare with OpenAMQ and Rabbit. I think the 0.9 support
added by Robert Godfrey is aimed at getting the client to talk to OpenAMQ?
Could not get interop with Rabbit to work, despite making a few changes to
the Java. I especially wanted to run perf tests against Rabbit after reading
their 1.3M msgs/sec claims.

Issues that I know of with Rabbit are:

Qpids lack of support for access tickets but Rabbit website says they use a
Qpid compatible mode for that by default.
Extra arguments on consume method. I removed those from the Java but it
still would not work.

Rupert

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
Robert Godfrey wrote:
> On a separate note... what change do you think there is of getting 0-9
> *and* 0-8 support in the C++ client / broker for M2.1 ?

I think it would only happen if there was a clear and specific need from
users, to be honest.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
> When anyone has the time, we could probably use the contents of the
> client properties map. It comes after the negotiation of the protocol
> version so would probably cause a wrinkle in the multi-version support
> mechanism, but would be doable if needed I think.

Yes - this was what I was planning to use - just hadn;t had the time
to look into the C++ / Python / Ruby clients to see what they send so
that I can differentiate them from an OpenAMQ or Rabbit client.

On a separate note... what change do you think there is of getting 0-9
*and* 0-8 support in the C++ client / broker for M2.1 ?  I know you
guys are mostly concentrating on the 0-10pre stuff on trunk...

-- Rob

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
Rupert Smith wrote:
> So is the plan to move JMS support onto pure 0-9, then revert 0-8 support to
> be pure too for interop with other 0-8 brokers? Or will JMS continue to run
> over impure 0-8, with purity restored through the STRICT_AMQP flag?

I haven't kept up with the M2.1 branch and the multi-version support,
but previously the STRICT_AMQP flag has not itself restored 'purity', it
has merely prevented some additional methods etc being used. In
particular it never restored the correct definition of the basic.consume
method.

Note that the modifications to the specification file mean that the c++
client and broker are also 'impure'. If we revert to a clean spec file
the c++ code will need minor adjustments before it will compile.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.
Also on the subject of interop. The interop spec has been implemented for a
number of test cases, and I will soon be adding test cases for all field
table types too. Currently it passes on C++, Java and .Net with Java broker
for M2.

There were also requirements in that spec for automated testing. In outline,
this meant having builds output a broker executable and a test client
executable to standardized locations, with start/stop scripts. There would
then be a master test scripts that launch all the possible combinations of
brokers/test clients in sequence based on what is available at the end of a
build and interop test them all and collate the results in a format that
automated build systems understand (XML output from JUnit). This has not
been attempted yet because so far I have only looked at client interop over
the Java broker and am launching the broker and test clients by hand every
time.

In addition to Rabbit and OpenAMQ I would be interested to run the perftests
and interop tests through the Qpid C++ broker.

Rupert

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
on the M2.1 java codebase, everything defaults to using 0-9... if it
connects to a broker that refuses 0-9 it tries "impure" 0-8...

-- Rob

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
>  Do we have out of the box interop
> with Rabbit or OpenAMQ (subject to its limited feature set)? Do our
> performance tests run unmodified against those brokers?

no, lot of our test use JMS and both Rabbit and OpenAMQ are not rich
enough to support that, can
only get basics going before I gave up last time tried. Not even all the
python test passed on them
last I looked.

Best we can do is aim for the basics I would say until they have more
features, or impl 0-10 when out
Carl.

Re: M2.1plan

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.