Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2010/03/22 09:34:34 UTC

Re: svn commit: r925815 - in /harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk: make/ modules/accessibility/ modules/annotation/ modules/applet/ modules/archive/ modules/auth/ modules/awt/ modules/beans/ modules/concurrent/ modules/crypto/ modules/imageio/ modules/in

In message <3b...@mail.gmail.com>, Natha
n Beyer writes:

> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 11:29 AM,  <hi...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Author: hindessm
> > Date: Sun Mar 21 16:29:58 2010
> > New Revision: 925815

> > Log:
> > Add includeantruntime="false" to silence ant 1.8.0 warning and
> > make our builds more consistent by not relying on jars in ant lib.
> > (Still need ecj in ant lib but might not need junit now?  At least
> > not for compiling anyway.)
>
> I'm curious about these commit comments. I haven't had any time to
> try out Ant 1.8, so I'm wondering what new enhancements have been
> introduced that we can take advantage of.

This commit was simply to make use of an old feature that 1.8.0 was
rightly less subtle about.  Relying on random jars in the ant lib
directory seems like a bad idea so it seemed reasonable to fix this.
Making all the javac calls consistent[0] is also generally a good idea
since it removes duplication.

Aside from on z/OS (see other recent thread) I see urgent reason to
require 1.8.0.  I'm sure the lexically scoped properties would enable
some simplification of our macros (and targets they use) but not worth
requiring everyone to upgrade IMO.

Regards,
 Mark.

[0] I plan to fix this for jdktools by adding includeantruntime="false"
to the hy.javac define in common_resources/make/properties.xml but I was
hoping an eclipse user would test this change before I commit it.