Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Art Welch <ar...@EASTPOINT.COM> on 2001/04/18 19:33:10 UTC

New committer needs help

I had know that people have had some difficulty getting CVS set up for
commit access, but I figured - I'm a clever guy... I should be able to
figure this out...

Well, I have spend hours on this... and still no joy! I have read every
"how-to" I could find on how to set up CVS with SSH (including the ones at
CVSGui.org and Jakarta) with no progress. In fact, so far I have not even
been able to establish an SSH connection. I have tried half a dozen SSH
clients trying to find one that worked under Windows2000. Currently I am
using MindBright's MindTerm 1.99 as the Jakarta document seems to prefer
this one. I am probably doing something wrong. As you can tell, I have never
used SSH before. I am also guessing at what I should be doing (and probably
guessing incorrectly). I assume that the SSH server is at xml.apache.org,
although I have tried a bunch of other things (locus things and cvs
things... all kinds of things - except of course for the right things).
Whatever I try, MindTerm gives an error like:

Error connecting to xml.apache.org, reason:
-> Operation timed out: no further information

If I put in a bogus name, then I get an error about "unknown host".

On the off chance that I am actually doing something correctly and the
company firewall is interfering (as it had when I set up anonymous CVS) I
contacted the technical support people and they assured me that SSH should
be OK.

Anyhow, is there some document that I (and Google) may have missed that
describes how to get this working? Can someone give me some pointers?

Thank You,
Art (committer? committed? - should be?)